Stanley wont eat

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Sampluscat
Settling in

Stanley wont eat

Postby Sampluscat » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:45 am

Hello, my dog Stanley will hardly eat and is losing weight. We need help. He is a rescue, we were told he was a shihtzu cross and he blossomed into what we believe is a shepherd/belgian malinois/spitz mix. He has dropped from 46 to 40lbs.
We have always had trouble convincing him to eat but it is definitely getting worse. We have tried EVERYTHING and had him checked by our vet.
People keep telling me not to worry and that "hungry dogs will eat" but he will go for days, until he is in pain, and vomitting bile. I am at such a loss, I want so badly to help him.

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Stanley wont eat

Postby yintzy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:05 am

Did they test him for pancreatitis?

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Stanley wont eat

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:35 am

If the vet hasn't discussed options, you may need to find a new vet. Nausea is often a cause of not eating in dogs - which might be caused by any number of issues including ear infections (affecting balance), neurological issues, etc. A first step would be to try a medication for nausea (I think Cerenia is what one of my dogs was put on when she stopped eating) and see if the appetite picks up. If it does, then more tests to find the cause of the nausea are needed. Dental issues might be another reason for not eating, as well as esophogeal issues.
How old is he, and how long has he been with you? Is his lack of appetite a recent thing, or has he always been a reluctant eater? Have you tried different foods - a raw food or homecook diet, for example, or even a change of the brand you are feeding.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”