Prescription for Noise Anxiety?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Prescription for Noise Anxiety?

Postby SherriA » Tue May 17, 2016 8:10 am

Has anyone heard anything about this? Any opinions? Fortunately Henry isn't bothered by fireworks, thunder, the vaccuum, etc, but I remember how Jack would stress and I get asked for suggestions by a lot of people.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/nati ... 16661.html

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Prescription for Noise Anxiety?

Postby connie » Tue May 17, 2016 4:55 pm

"...McFarland, who said he has used Sileo with good results on his Finnish Lapphund." Okay then! :thumbup:

I find that very interesting; there is a Rat Terrier cross, a rescue, in one of my agility classes who is incredibly distracted by noise and goes into avoidance mode at certain things. This sounds like it would be very helpful for Skippy.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Fri May 20, 2016 7:42 am

Hey! Chris Pachel, the doctor quoted in the article, used to practice here in Minneapolis and was a total awesome bad-ass! I never got to meet him personally, but my bestie and MP's beloved trainer who went back to school for animal behavior *loved* him, which makes me like/trust him by association. ;)

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:29 pm

I've seen info on this floating around, but I haven't heard anything in particular about it otherwise. Sure isn't cheap!!!
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:58 am

From the manufacturer's website:
Important Safety Information: Do not use SILEO in dogs with severe cardiovascular disease, respiratory, liver or kidney diseases, or in conditions of shock, severe debilitation, or stress due to extreme heat, cold or fatigue or in dogs hypersensitive to dexmedetomidine or to any of the excipients. SILEO should not be administered in the presence of preexisting hypotension, hypoxia, or bradycardia. Do not use in dogs sedated from previous dosing. SILEO has not been evaluated in dogs younger than 16 weeks of age or in dogs with dental or gingival disease that could have an effect on the absorption of SILEO. SILEO has not been evaluated for use in breeding, pregnant, or lactating dogs. Transient pale mucous membranes at the site of application may occur with SILEO use. Other uncommon adverse reactions included emesis, drowsiness or sedation. Handle gel-dosing syringes with caution to avoid direct exposure to skin, eyes or mouth.

It must be a low enough dose of a sedative that usually doesn't cause drowsiness, but I don't like the warning that it can cause sedation and to not use in dogs sedated from previous dosing. It also seems that it might not be a good idea for old dogs with that "don't use in dogs with..." list or dogs with the dental issues. I'd be concerned with the effect on an old dog's kidneys because, if I have this right, kidney problems don't show up in the labwork until much of the kidney function is gone. Do I remember correctly that it's about 75% dysfunction before showing up in the labs?

I'd try other natural remedies before this. My niece married a man that came with a 120 lb Akita-St Bernard mix that was terrified of storms and had almost destroyed the carpeting and at least one door in his apartment. I suggested several herbal products, and maybe partly because of cost for the size of this dog, she searched and found something that worked very well for this dog and her situation. It is the Calming Formula from Pet Naturals of Vermont. It's mostly thiamine and l-theanine in a chewable. It does have some rosemary in it, so it wouldn't be appropriate for those dogs sensitive to that or that have seizures.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:53 am

I wonder if you used Sileo for certain stressful situations if it would help to desensitize the dog over time. Lady didn't like the fireworks, just wanted to go hide, did some pacing. When fireworks were were really going on, I crated her & Smokey, then never heard a peep or fidget out of either- some of the blasts made me jump - at 2 1/2 she fits in the baby age between 2 and 3, and is in good health except for underweight from malnourishment.

Her reaction at the dog food kitchen makes me wonder if it would be appropriate to use it in this case. She was hearing background noise of pots banging, food carts being moved or loaded, etc, probably similar to noises you'd hear at a busy restaurant/cafeteria . The slick polished concrete floor was a novel experience for her which probably upped her anxiety, coming as she was as a backyard dog with limited experience to various sights or sounds. She's learning to accept the vacuum cleaner as long as she can put a little distance between it and her. Yesterday she happened to look up at the moment the ceiling fan was in the process of stopping, barely moving, and I swear I saw a look of panic on her face- which made her get up and leave the room to get away from the monster at the ceiling. But it was the kitchen noise that really pushed her over the edge, made her tremble and shake-she couldn't wait to get out of there, pulling on the leash in flight mode.

Or do we want to do behavior modification training? We try and take her with us when we can to get her used to various situations. We have sure been seeing a lot of dogs in Wal Mart lately. Guy holding a little puppy and a small dog in the basket, but the other night we saw a guy with a Doberman, don't know if I'd be brave enough to try Wal Mart. Only thing I can think of there is no one standing at the door to tell them they can't take a dog in, after all it is sort of a supermarket.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:12 pm

I would not take her to Walmart for both the fact that it's against the rules as a food establishment and even more because you'd be flooding her. If she is sensitive to new floors and sounds, that much commotion and novelty will just make her more afraid. You need to think baby steps. Play sounds for her at low volume at home. Look on YouTube for sound effect tracks you can play from your phone or computer. Increase the volume gradually and only play it for short sessions while you feed her her dinner or give treats. Practice walking on different surfaces in your home. Be creative. Use old pillows to step across or buy a roll of cheap linoleum. She needs slow and patient desensitization, not medication, in my opinion. At 2 1/2, I would not consider her a baby. She has passed her developmental milestones and if she was only a backyard dog, she missed a lot of socialization opportunities. With careful practice you can get her more used to things but I think it is ambitious and possibly detrimental for you to consider large, bustling locations for her at this time. She barely knows you, let alone that the places she is going with you are safe and happy places. Take a few steps back. Do some positive training at home where she is feeling safe. Bond with her. Click and treat her for looking at the fan or anything else that she looks nervous about. Take your training outside to the backyard or front porch when she has something mastered inside. She is beyond the critical windows of development so you are in no rush to try and get all this stuff in. Take it slow and steady. She'll get there in time.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:30 pm

Amanda gave you awesome guidance, Johnna! When working with MP's reactivity, one of the hardest things to remember/stick to/accept (?) was that she can't learn anything above threshold—once she's amped up/freaked out/whatever, brain is shut down, and it's all just stress and instinct. Sometimes it feels like you're not doing anything because the stressor is barely visible/audible, but if that's the distance and space the dog needs, then that's where you start. :) Otherwise, you're just making it worse and ruining your relationship. Also remember that stress is cumulative, and some dogs take a long time to recoup after each "thing" that caused stress. You add a little bit along the day, and you end up with a straw-camel-back situation. Like Amanda said, I think building trust and a relationship with her should come first, and you might have to be very, very patient. I've heard from various places that a newly adopted dog (not even abused or particularly "special" circumstances) would take months—like 4-6 months—for them to *really* get settled. Some more quickly and more slowly, for sure, but that might be something to keep in mind. Good luck!

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”