Cost for small tumor or wart removal?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Cost for small tumor or wart removal?

Postby emmas_mom » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Mitzi (10 pound bichon frise, almost 13 years old) has a couple of small warty looking things on her neck. She's had them for ages, and both her previous owner's vet and my vet said 'don't worry about them, they're nothing'. But about a month ago, they started breaking down - bleeding and seeping. They have always looked to me exactly like a basal cell skin cancer (I had this form of cancer some years back, and the growths on Mitzi are IDENTICAL - rough raised bump with a small indentation/hole in the middle).
So yesterday I went back to the vet, and he agreed they should probably be removed and sent for testing. The cost, however, to remove them is $488, including about $100 for a pathology report.
Does that seem high to you? I know I've had bumps removed from my own skin, ones that weren't covered by my medical plan, and they were around $50.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Cost for small tumor or wart removal?

Postby Jen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Bella had a wart removed in 2008, and it cost $400. I remember this because I wrote about it on my long defunct blog

"Benign Viral Cutaneous Squamous Papilloma

That's the fancy, $400 way of saying "a wart." *sigh*

It did have to come off, though, because it was big enough to catch on things and was bleeding. But still. A wart? I'm glad it isn't cancer, but I'd have liked something a little splashier for my money."

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks Jen. Sigh. Do you think Mitzi will think 'surgery' is a good Christmas present? :lol:
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:56 pm

Not high to me at all. If you wanted to reduce it, you could skip the pathology. Depends whether $100 is worth it for piece of mind.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:47 am

Not high to me at all. If you wanted to reduce it, you could skip the pathology. Depends whether $100 is worth it for piece of mind.
I figured the pathology would be useful for future reference - if it is a basel cell cancer, then I'd know to get future 'warts' removed right away, but if it is benign, I could just monitor them for changes.
Thanks for confirming that the price is in line - it just seemed amazingly high for such a little thing - as expensive than a spay which is a lot more invasive!
I like the vet, but his office is heavy on the marketing/selling of unnecessary things like annual vaccinations, crappy dog food, etc. so I always wonder if they inflate my prices as they know I don't buy the stuff they push! :crazy:

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:13 am

Is that for GA or sedation? If it's possible, see if they can skip the GA. it'll be easier on the old lady and cheaper for you. I had something very similar sounding removed from Max under sedation and a local with no issue. unfortunately I don't recall the price, but I'm sure it was less than $500!
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:20 am

Is that for GA or sedation? If it's possible, see if they can skip the GA. it'll be easier on the old lady and cheaper for you. I had something very similar sounding removed from Max under sedation and a local with no issue. unfortunately I don't recall the price, but I'm sure it was less than $500!
It's for GA - I was surprised they couldn't do it with sedation and local, especially since Mitzi is the EASIEST dog in the world and the location on the back of the neck isn't a tricky one, but they said no.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:28 am

Weird. Did they think it was deep in the skin or something?
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

Sweetgrass Farm

Postby Sweetgrass Farm » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:35 am

Please seriously consider using neoplasene as an injectable into the wart. This treatment has worked wonders for warts and you can see it shrink up and go away. The dog would need to be kept on the neoplasene through their diet as you don't want the cancer to come back. It's certainly working for Sarah, as well as many other dogs.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:44 am

Please seriously consider using neoplasene as an injectable into the wart. This treatment has worked wonders for warts and you can see it shrink up and go away. The dog would need to be kept on the neoplasene through their diet as you don't want the cancer to come back. It's certainly working for Sarah, as well as many other dogs.
You wouldn't happen to have any contacts on Vancouver Island that know of a vet who uses this, do you? I tried to find one a while ago when a friend asked about it, and didn't have any luck.

Sweetgrass Farm

Postby Sweetgrass Farm » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:01 am

Dr. Spencer can contact your vet and walk him through the treatment and how to use the neoplasene. I can send you his information, if you'd like. Otherwise, I do know of a vet on the mainland that would probably be very receptive to using it. After the initial treatment, I've just been keeping in contact with Dr. Spencer through phone calls and photos.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:18 am

Dr. Spencer can contact your vet and walk him through the treatment and how to use the neoplasene. I can send you his information, if you'd like. Otherwise, I do know of a vet on the mainland that would probably be very receptive to using it. After the initial treatment, I've just been keeping in contact with Dr. Spencer through phone calls and photos.
Yes, please pm me his contact info. The mainland isn't viable for me. I doubt my vet will be amenable to it, but I can ask.
Does the dog have to have a definite diagnosis of cancer first? We don't know if Mitzi's are cancerous, and my vet says the only way to find out is to remove them (which sounds strange to me since there are lots of other means of determining if cells are cancerous).

Sweetgrass Farm

Postby Sweetgrass Farm » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:57 am

Why can't he take a biopsy? Or am I stating the obvious? Since the phone number for Dr. Art Spencer is his business line, I can post it here. (530)468-5366
Just tell him I sent you (Sherri Rossmiller) and keep us posted!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:40 pm

I don't know why he can't take a biopsy, except perhaps it is because the total growth would be the same size or smaller than the punch biopsy. These are just small warts on a ten pound dog. Thanks for the number. Sherri - I'll call him tomorrow to see what he says. I also have a semi-holistic mobile vet I've used on the island who is good about responding to emails - I'll ask her if she is familiar with it and whether she thinks it appropriate for Mitzi. She's pretty open to new ideas and alternative strategies and might be willling to have Dr. Spencer walk her through it.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”