NDR: Wee wee pads without attractant

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

NDR: Wee wee pads without attractant

Postby yintzy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:22 am

Mango likes to stick her butt up in the air when she pees, often causing her to pee outside the box. I've tried everything, covered box, big box, little box and it just happens. I can't use any of those cat litter mats because she makes a mess. I've tried using paper towel but I'm sick of picking up after her. I bought some wee wee pads yesterday to hopefully absorb the pee and save lots of time cleaning. It worked great but she didn't even try to go in the box, just on the pad - not the end of the world. Anyway, the only thing that concerned me about the pads were the 'attractant' that is added to them. Luckily the dogs couldn't pee there if they tried and doubtful they'd try.

I've been scanning the net and can't seem to find an attractant free pad. I'd rather not use hospital pads as it sort of defeats the purpose of saving me from cleaning. Does anyone know of a brand that doesn't have an attractant?

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Re: NDR: Wee wee pads without attractant

Postby PofiMia » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:44 am

Well, I've actually been using doggie pee pads for Benito for quite some time when he suddenly didn't seem to like Cat Attract litter anymore. Some of this is doubtless his illness - when we first got him on meds he took to a lower sided open box (actually a dog litter tray) I'd gotten him. Then he stopped again and we are back to the pads.

Initially, these pads were in the basement in an area near a back door to the outside which is where he had marked (concrete). But when he got very ill, he stopped going to the basement, which is accessed by cat door. So I suddenly had to have them on first floor. Somehow, the dogs don't even seem interested let alone interested enough to pee on them. As of yet, I've not found them without the attractant either...

I do have one box that is open, but super deep with a deep notched opening - made by Rubbermaid. No one has ever managed to arc their pee out of that bad boy if they are using it. Both Nesto and Benito tend to aim high......

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:55 pm

I second the suggestion of adapting the litter box. I use the huge totes that are sold for storage/organizing for my 5 cats.

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks. Will check into that.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:42 pm

I use a big rubbermaid tote as well. The box is in my under sink cabinet in the bathroom, and the sides are as tall as the cabinet is high. We just cut out a small opening in the front for Scout to climb in.

Hyacinth
Regular

Postby Hyacinth » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:51 pm

I've used these for my dog...

Prevail Fluff Underpads

Not sure if these are the "hospital pads" that you did not want to use.. but they work well as a disposable pee pad and does not have attractants. Also made in USA, which is always a plus. :)

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:48 am

I'm too lazy to adapt a tote!! And Rubbermaid must have heard all of y'all were out there doing it, so they made one - probably a few bucks more, but it has worked very well for years (Benito's current weirdness aside).

High sided box

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”