Blue Buff

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Kendall
Settling in

Blue Buff

Postby Kendall » Wed May 04, 2005 8:34 am

What do you guys think of it? I've been feeding Chicken Soup but my feed store has decided to stop selling it. I checked out the ingredients and to my untrained eye everything looks good. But someone who knows a little more about dog food labels opinion would be great. Thanks!

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Blue Buff

Postby Brenda » Wed May 04, 2005 8:48 am

Do you mean Blue Buffalo?

If so, what flavor are you looking at?

From Lilian's list of ingredients, etc., it looks like a good food to me but I've never used it

Kendall
Settling in

Postby Kendall » Wed May 04, 2005 8:59 am

Yes, blue buffalo. I am looking at the chicken flavor puppy formula, but I'll be switching to adult in about 3 months.

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Brenda » Wed May 04, 2005 9:06 am

Here's the info about it:

http://www.mordanna.com/boards/showflat ... ue#Post220

Some don't like blue buffalo but I'm not sure why. I'm sure you'll hear from more later

Kendall
Settling in

Postby Kendall » Wed May 04, 2005 10:33 am

Good news!!! Well, sort of...
A new pets store opened last week and they carry Artemis (sp?), but they carry the old line only. I called Artemis and they said that their distributor has the new line so I can just ask the pet store to get it. In the new line the first 4 ingred. are chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal and they dont use frozen fruit or veg. The old line was chicken meal, turkey meal, with no whole meats (am I saying that correctly?) Artemis also seems like a much better food and its costs the same as blue buff. So can I ask the pet store to get the new kind in?

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Brenda » Wed May 04, 2005 11:04 am

I'd wait a bit and see what Lilian has to say - she knows the kibbles best Are there any byproducts in it? Is it human grade meat?

Sure sounds better....

Kendall
Settling in

Postby Kendall » Wed May 04, 2005 11:24 am

Adult Artemis (new!)
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Lamb meal, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (pres. Vit. E,C, rosemary extract), dried eggs, fish meal, natural flavoring, canola oil, flaxseed, fresh potatoes, fresh carrots, fresh peas, whole fresh apples, cranberries, dried chicory root(prebiotics), methionine, potassium chloride, salt taurine, lecithin, garlic, vit A acetate,vit D-3 suppl., vitE suppl., Riboflavin suppl., Vit B-12 suppl., choline chloride, pyridoxine hydrichloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, ascorbic acid, biotin, inositol, dehydrated kelp, chelates of zinc, iron, maganese, copper and cobalt, potassium iodate, sodium selenite, yucca schidigera extract, sage extract, aspergillus oryzae fermantation soulubles(digestive enzyme), enterococcus faecium and lactobaccillus acidophilus(probiotics)
crude protein 23
crude fat 14
fiber 2.9
moisture 10
omega 6 2.5
omega 3 4

337 kcal/cup (8oz)

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Wed May 04, 2005 12:33 pm

artemis is definitely a better food than chicken soup. but i'd say it ranks about the same with the blue buffalo.

if you need more information, have you looked here yet?

Kendall
Settling in

Postby Kendall » Wed May 04, 2005 1:45 pm

So would you say the the Natural 6 is the same as blue buff as well?
I noticed that the natural 6 does have dried beet pulp. Another question, so is having meal listed first better than having just the meat listed first (chicken) since there is more protein in the meal?
Also, flaxseed is marked a good and bad quality on section 2.2.. Why is this? Thanks for all your help!
I also noticed that blue buff afew hundred caloried more than a lot of the other, any ideas as to why/how?

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Wed May 04, 2005 2:59 pm

ywes, they are both good foods.

beet pulp in small quantities (i.e. not as a main ingredient) is not a bad thing at all.

in the section you referred to, flaxseed is not marked as either good or bad, if you look at the titles in the example boxes, it says foods, grains, fruits and vegetables marked bold, which is done for comparison purposes for these specific ingredients.

by comparison, the quality food contains more whole, unpreprocessed ingredients instead of preprocessed industry byproducts.

i hope this helps!

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”