Can I give scrips away?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Can I give scrips away?

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:16 am

I have a boatload of Cerenia from Max's chemo treatments and I get a new 10-pill pack after every treatment. I have 5 packs unopened currently and nothing expires until 2021. We'll never use it all, I think we've used 4 pills total so far. Can I give it away to rescue or something? I don't know the laws on veterinary prescriptions.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Can I give scrips away?

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:12 am

I don't know if it is different in Canada than in the States, but I have always donated leftover animal prescription drugs to either my local SPCA or my favourite rescues. They are always grateful for ones that they can use - just check with them first. Cerenia would be welcomed I'm sure.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Riddick

Postby Riddick » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:48 am

I don’t know if a rescue could take them, but after Orion died, I found someone on the dog cancer Facebook group I was a member of that was struggling to pay for meds and donated everything of Orion’s to her and her Shepherd that was fighting the same cancer. Flat rate shipping was only like 8 bucks. She was very grateful to be able to continue treating her Shepherd, and it made me happy that Orion’s meds helped another.
~Lyssa~
Apollo, Orion & Remus...and the kitties, Flower and Jasper!!

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:15 pm

I don't know if rescues groups like the SPCA and Humane Societies can take them, so ask to be sure. I do know that the one e-vet specialty hospital I now go to accepts donated meds back, and for those patients willing to accept donated meds, they give those out at no charge. I have personally benefited and have been very grateful to accept them, especially recently when they were able to give me one of Benson's Rx that was on backorder and unavailable from any supplier.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”