Post surgery and raw food questions

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Post surgery and raw food questions

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:06 am

Maggie is having dental surgery today, including at least two extractions of back teeth, as well as possible removal of a lump on her paw. Maggie has severe allergies to all sorts of things, including ALL kibble (common denominator unknown). She is raw fed a mix of ground novel proteins (rotating elk, kangaroo, duck) which contain 10% bone and 10% organ meat and the rest is muscle meat. She also gets a capsule that combines digestive enzymes, probiotics, and prebiotics daily (as well as CBD oil and Recovery for other issues). I know I should give milk thistle post surgery to help flush out the liver from the effects of anesthetic , but here's my other questions:
1. If she comes home on antibiotics, do I withhold the probiotic/prebiotic until she is off the antibiotics? And would that include no yogurt with probiotics?
2. Given that she is having extractions of back teeth, is it safe to feed her the ground raw food before the incisions heal over? (I'm more concerned about pieces of raw meat getting caught in the wound than any other aspect of raw feeding).
3. I haven't exposed her to milk thistle before, and she does have many environmental allergies. Has anyone ever heard of dogs being allergic to milk thistle?
Thanks.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Post surgery and raw food questions

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:26 pm

Okay, the vet (new to me, as I've moved recently) was right on top of stuff and answered most of the questions before I asked them - told me to give her probiotics at double her usual dose while on the antibiotics, then back to regular dose. And she can have her raw food with no problem. So the remaining question - have any of you heard of dogs being allergic to milk thistle?

Mags came through the dental work really well - only the two extractions (which practically fell out), and the rest of the teeth cleaned up beautifully. The lump on the paw is more of a concern as it grew really quickly and, because of location, was really hard to get clean margins on or to close well. Vet says it looks benign but we have sent it off to pathology to be sure. Now to keep that wound dry, closed, and healing for the next two weeks.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:41 am

:smile: thanks for posting. Good information to know.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:12 pm

I haven’t heard of any dogs being allergic to milk thistle, but that doesn’t mean it’s not possible. I’m glad her surgery went well overall and wish her a speedy recovery.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:44 pm

She seems to be fine on the milk thistle, and I actually found some studies that claim it helps reduce allergic reactions. I will say Maggie hasn't had a single hive, or weepy eyes, since the surgery - something we routinely deal with due to her allergies despite her medications for them. One difference might be that she isn't exposed to the outdoors as much as (a) she's not supposed to be walking more than a block or so and (b) after three months of springlike winter, we finally got hit with real winter (well, real for the west coast) and it is too icy for us to go out anyway. My daffodils are freezing. :(
And she's on antibiotics, inflammatories, etc which might also be keeping her reactions under control a bit.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”