Thyroid and Lady

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Thyroid and Lady

Postby BarksaLot » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:16 pm

I'm trying to understand her blood test:

T4 0.6 (Low) Reference range 0.8-3.5 ug/dl
Free T4 Equilibrium Dialysis 14.0 reference range 8-40

Took Lady back to the vet this morning for recheck, lungs were clear, cough gone so ok on that score. She is looking for a weight gain of say 4 lbs over the next month. She was 50 lbs when we got her, about 52 now. We have her on the Just for dogs beef and russet potato meal, she may have lost a bit since we put her on whole food - we got a reading of 53 lbs when we went in to the vet a couple days after the first visit. I'm going to have to feed a little more than the chart recommends to get weight up. I was aiming for 5 meals at first with the kibble, but average 4 now. Last 2 mornings I've added a couple baked potatoes with butter, in addition to 1 1/2 cups of the beef & potato.

There is a lamb formula a little higher in calories, but lower protein, probably best for our old guy. Took her over there to the store, picked up Lamb, plus a turkey & whole wheat macaroni. She absolutely hated the store. Wouldn't eat any treats offered. Then we noticed she was shaking, floor was a polished concrete that she freaked out on, then I noticed hearing banging of pots, bumping of carts, so being noise sensitive I'd guess was the problem. She couldn't wait to get out of there. Then a short freeway drive to Petsmart to fit her for a harness, bored her to tears with figuring out a harness. Then pick up lunch, play with the harness a bit at home - by which time she's ready for a nap. Finally escaped from us going into the dark bedroom and getting in her bed.

Which leaves me wondering if she needs thyroid medication, if it's low energy from low weight. She will have bursts of high energy, but then crashes and needs a Nap. With the infection gone she feels better, still itchy got some Atarax 50 mg to try. I wonder if we get her weight up if thyroid will come up? Atarax might make her sleepy. She can be strong at full energy,which makes me wonder if I should just let things go as they are or do we need to address thyroid?

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Thyroid and Lady

Postby SherriA » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:38 am

I don't know much about thyroid (knock wood, that isn't something I've had to deal with in my dogs....yet) I would say, though, that almost every dog I've had sleeps the day away, regardless of age. They get up and do things with me if I want, but left on their own, they nap and nap and nap. Especially in the CA heat, I don't think it's that surprising that she naps. Is your vet concerned? It really doesn't sound unusual to me for her to want to nap after spending the day running errands with you, especially including one where her stress levels were elevated. That's tiring!

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:24 am

The vet hasn't said anything about her thyroid,she's young pretty busy there, double booked situation, so I'll have to give her a call and see what she says. Interesting thing is our old guy Smokey. Just had blood work done on him. He's had tummy trouble lately, threw up a few times. Vet said to give him Pepcid before meals, and I'm trying smaller amounts 3 small meals instead of 2. So got results on him that look good, liver & kidney values are good. Only thing off is a low normal thyroid. She wants to wait a week to see that his tummy settles down then give him thyroid med T-150. We see shakes in him that might be related to thyroid. Thyroid and aggression has been suggested, did a blood panel with Dr. Dodd's that was normal in 2014, so will be interesting to see if the T-150 helps his growlyness. He's still aggressive and has to be muzzled for procedures, gets pretty stressed, but at almost 15 he's not as strong so we are able to finally muzzle him ourselves and can clean his ears at home.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:00 pm

14 is still on the low end of the scale, so her total T4 is low, and her free T4 is low end. To me that says that the thyroid isn't functioning well *for some reason*. I tend to be quick to treat a thyroid, just based on my own experience. But if you were treating a non-thyroid disease, like a tick disease, I might wait and retest in a couple of months. If you do nothing now, I would still retest in 4-6 months.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:33 pm

I'm so confused about the thyroid. Had her to hemopet which ran a complete panel, thought she was low thyroid at the visit, but then after getting complete results he said she was ok. I'm going to have question vet again.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:36 am

I was very unhappy with Dodds' interpretation of jazz's thyroid results. I love her lab because she has good panels, and has been much cheaper (haven't checked lately), but it seems that she has become much more conservative in her treatment recommendations over the years, as well as dosage.

I'm 3 for 3 with dogs with thyroid issues. Two of those where borderline cases that the vet and I went against dodds' recommendation and we were very happy with the results.
Max-n-Indy

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:41 am

I would wait until after you work on the food sensitivities a bit. I don't recall ever looking up histamine and thyroid, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a connection. Also check your probiotics, some increase histamine, some don't.
Max-n-Indy

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”