Lady severe allergy & need a good vet

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Lady severe allergy & need a good vet

Postby BarksaLot » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:57 am

Lady has a serious red rash on her belly and her ankles look pink. Ordering Dr, Dodds Nutrascan. I called our vet yesterday to make an appointment only to be told Sally Lane was no longer there, got an evasive answer when I asked where she was. They didn't know. Same thing at Sherman oaks Veterinary group, she's not there, this time something was mentioned about her mother not able to be left alone, which that I understand. Calabasis is holistic, tynway has several negative reviews, so not impressed with her

Trouble is we need a good vet, we went to these offices specifically for Dr Lane who was excellent. The vet they put us with at Sherman oaks who took the shelter coupon just to get a new client, we're not so impressed with, rushed all the time, doesn't listen to you, so new they don't have a bio on her what her education is, I believe her father a vet works there and when you say the name they ask which one. This young gal is not dry behind the ears. Even had the thought to take her to Dr Dodds, people say it's worth the drive, but she's all booked up, leaving the country in November, not going to see some replacement that just wants to sell a tube of stuff.

So anyone recommend a vet in S. California? I've been doing tea bag poultice black tea on a wash rag, squirted her with some witch hazel a bit ago, then she rolled all around like it smelled nasty to her. Next idea diaper rash ointment, had a bottle of Parma sooth, but it's expired the area looked redder after using it, so ditched that one, she got a bath Sunday. Anybody see the pit bull enjoying a soak in a tub being fed treats on a Facebook video. Wish I could get her in a tub like that, I squirt her belly with the hose a couple weeks ago, turn on the water now she runs to the opposite side of the yard,

So suggestions on a vet or treatments. It might be a combination of crappy food she was fed in the past to environmental. We have chiggers in parts of the yard that like to eat me up and I think she goes there too. Thanks for any suggestions!!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Lady severe allergy & need a good vet

Postby SherriA » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:24 pm

I have no vet suggestions for S. Cali (I'm in New England), but if you think it's allergies, have you tried Benadryl or Zyrtec?

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:01 pm

I second benedryl for immediate relief as well as cort-aid or something topical if needed. Holisitic is awesome but sometimes tried and true allopathic is the way to go to manage symptoms until you can get into the vet. Nutriscan is fine and you can do it at home. While the kit/results are good references, bear in mind that if you have something underlying that changes the immune system response then the allergic reactions may change too. That's what we ran into after Max had his cushings diagnosis and started treatment. If you were in the midwest I'd recommend a few amazing clinics but have no contacts in SoCal, sorry. :(
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:41 am

I give her 2 Benadryl
morning and night. Haven't tried Zyrtec, what would the dose for a 55 lb dog be. Zyrtec is the only thing that works for my allergies. Don't see any relief from Benadryl, she did Atarax, which was no help, the vet we saw seemed more concerned with the reverse sneezing, which has cleared. But she's ignored the itching and redness. Poor dog is walking funny too, like chapped legs, she is scalded on abdomen, strawberry tomato red. Rubbed her with fresh aloe Vera, can't see that it helped a bit. Dab her with apple cider vinegar.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Poor Lady. :( If it were up to me, I would not do ACV, because any kind of open/irritated skin would be further aggravated by the acidity, even if it were to somehow help repel mites or whatever is causing the rash. Sometimes just some cold pack can alleviate symptoms (make sure no longer than 15 min at a time, not too cold), and you may need to simply *not* apply stuff to it for a while (I know, it's hard to back off when you want to help!) to make sure that if anything is making it worse. Aloe vera, although very popular, hasn't helped *me* much in the past; I think I have a bit of sensitivity to it (not uncommon). Things I personally like for itchy stuff is chamomile or calendula tea—although some are allergic to those, too.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:18 pm

I'd use Vetericyn on her belly. When Zeke gets hives on his belly that's what I use to clear it up with some Benadryl. For 55 lbs, you can do two tablets (25 mg) 2-3 times a day. Where in SoCal are you? I can recommend my vet in Mission Viejo but I think you are in corona?

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:25 am

We're in Canoga Park, west San Fernando valley. Haven't tried the vetericyn. I had some Parma soothe, which was expired, seemed sort of thick, sprayed it on her & made it worse. Will have to check the date on the vetericyn, got them both at the same time. Been using silver sulfidyne 1%. Helping some, still not great. I've used herbicleanse antibacterial to give her a wash between applications. Good idea to try some cold. Some areas the skin seems so hot. We've got an appointment this morning wth the vet that works with Dr. Dodds. Bit of a drive, but we want to see somebody good. We've done the saliva test to check for food sensitivities, will turn that in this morning,

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:47 am

Good luck Johnna! I hope the new vet can help Lady be more comfortable.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:52 pm

Baking soda is soothing. For long term treatment, I wouldn't use benadryl, but would use zyrtec or something that is not as much of an acetylcholine inhibitor.

There are food sensitivies and food allergies, two different tests. I used the Spectrum for the food allergies. Also, at least for allergies, might need to look at "families of foods" - a pea allergy may mean a more general legume allergy, and sometimes the way it's cooked matters.

Frequent bathing to keep the allergens off. Zymox shampoo is good in general, if there is a bit of staph infection, this stuff works on jazz: https://www.chewy.com/vets-best-hot-spo ... z/dp/45184

Ultimately, long term management here with allergy shots (we use the oral drops here) have worked wonders. Usually environmental and food allergies both occur. Reducing one, increases the overall histamine threshhold and makes exposure better tolerated for what is not treated. Very individual though.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”