Food Question, Again :sad:

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
KatrinH

Food Question, Again :sad:

Postby KatrinH » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi everyone,

it is me once again with a food question. Unfortunately, while Ranger has been doing good on his kibble, I am thinking about switching because I am not happy with the company. Twice now I have gotten a bag and it smelled weird (got them refunded, but still...) and in one piece of kibble I found a piece of corn yesterday, even though there is supposed to be no corn in the food! So I am really concerned that one day he will get sick just because some random shit happened to be in there again :banghead:

So I was looking at foods again and it is really a bit of a struggle as he cannot have any fruits and no carrots...Again, I understand homecooked would be ideal, but I just don't have time or money for it. Hence I also need a food that is affordable. I was looking on this: http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory website as I now live in Scotland and it has UK brands. So:

Does anyone have any experiences with UK dog food brands? e.g. I was looking at ones from: Golden Eagle, Dog's Dinner, Walking the Dog, Burns Sensitive, Dave and Barney, Moorlands, Nutrix, Skinners (these were the ones I could find on website above with a rating at 3.5 or above and within price range and with only ingredients Ranger could tolerate).

I am also looking at the German Brand "Hermanns", which is a wet complete and they offer 100% meat cans, so I could up the meat content if I notice he needs more. I only worry if this will be truly complete? Ingredients are:

Duck with Sweet Potatoes: 50% duck (breast, neck), squash, sweet potato, evening primrose oil
protein: 5.0 % fat: 6.0 % fibre: 1.5 % ash: 1.0 % moisture:81.9 %

They recommend feeding about 2-2.5% of dog's body weight for this food.

Thanks so much for anyone that can provide any input! If needed I can copy in some of the ingredients for the above named brands of dog food too.

KatrinH

Re: Food Question, Again :sad:

Postby KatrinH » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:20 pm

I found these other wet complete's which would actually be cheaper and have a higher protein content:

Ingredient(s): Turkey (min.65%), Turkey Liver (min. 5%), Brown Rice (min. 5%), Minerals, Seaweed, Chicory Root.
or Duck (min.65%), Duck Liver (min. 5%), Brown Rice (min. 5%), Minerals, Seaweed, Chicory Root.

Protein 10.5%, Crude Fibre 5.1%, Oils and Fats 5.5%, Crude Ash 3%, Moisture 75%.

I do think trying a wet food may be worth it and these aren't too horribly pricy, but of course I would like them to be complete. Although, I guess, if he tolerates them I could always add supplements/cook some food extra to balance it out.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:52 am

No clue about kibble.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:13 am

Is home-prepared food an option? You can make large batches at one time and freeze for use over the next few weeks, it's not something that you have to do daily.

Frankly, the biggest thing to recommend kibble is the convenience, and if you can find that in another format, I'd leave kibble out of the picture altogether. There are always going to be little nagging worries about things like that piece of corn, which will bug you.

If I had only one dog to feed, I'd go to home-prepared made in advance, or Honest Kitchen pretty much all the time. JMO.

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:46 am

Unfortunately home-prepared alone is not an option atm. I simply am very busy and also very limited in resources (financially, but I also do not have a car atm so getting ingredients is a bit difficult, also only have a small freezer that I am sharing with my roommate). I am considering adding some homemade, but the majority of it should be "done".

Unfortunately all the freeze dried I have found so far that are available and affordable here contain either carrots or fruits, neither of which he tolerates :(

I think I will try wet food at least (one of the two listed above), just to see if he tolerates it, plus it should be easier to add some homemade to that if I feel like it is not balancing out enough.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:40 pm

That's the dilemma -- if convenience is high up on the list of important factors, as it is for you, then kibble becomes a nearly unavoidable choice. I hope you find a food that works!

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Yeah, I know it's not ideal. I will try out the canned wet food and see how that goes. If he tolerates it, it's at least a start away from kibble. I am hoping that in about 1-2 years I will be able to devote more resources to home-made, just not possible at the moment.

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:33 pm

So I switched Ranger to the turkey and rice wet food: Ingredient(s): Turkey (min.65%), Turkey Liver (min. 5%), Brown Rice (min. 5%), Minerals, Seaweed, Chicory Root.

Immediately he was better than on the kibble (diarrhea he ended up developing from the most likely contaminated kibble immediately gone). Now interestingly he seems quite constipated on this wet food. He has generally dry and hard stools, sometimes they are little, sometimes large, occassionally with a bit of mucous and few times with a tiny bit of bright red blood on the outside only. He usually goes 2-3 times per walk now, and seems a bit uncomfortable pooping.

I am adding some pumpkin currently to see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

Do you think the food is just not right for him? How long would you feed before trying something else (I started him on this food about 2.5 weeks ago)?

Could it also be stress? The last week has been sucky as the 5th is a holiday here with fireworks, etc. and the people in my town have decided that it is great to shoot at least a couple fireworks every evening/night since Halloween till even today still :cussing: poor guy has been camped below my desk quite a bit :frown:

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:46 pm

pumpkin is a good idea. you might also want to add some kind of oil or fat. turkey is pretty lean, and there's not much else in there. Maybe some coconut or fish oil would help him.

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:41 pm

There is the same brand food with duck instead of turkey, looks the same otherwise, reckon that might be better?

I am also thinking about adding some cooked rice to increase carb content as he is struggeling with weight a bit, but I know that might not be good for his constipation?

I will try and see if his tummy tolerates any oil.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:45 am

Constipation can also be caused by gut inflammation, or motility issues. The mucous and blood makes me think that colitis I brewing?? He sure is a mystery boy.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:24 pm

Lisa, tell me about it. It always seems to be something but we can never figure out exactly what is going on *sigh*

Mucous and blood is only occassionally though, so it can be not there for several days and then appear again, usually on the same ones.

Anyone think I should try a different food since it literally started the first poop after I switched him over? There is the same brand with salmon and potato, or I could try a different brand? I'd probably try another canned food first.

He does seem quite healthy otherwise, although he is quite stressed as my neighborhood still (it has been a week) has not stopped shooting firework every night and sometimes even during the day :( The poor guy is camped below my desk and walks after dark aren't possible anymore. Already working with rescue drops/essential oils, but doesn't seem to help much considering it has been going on and on and on. Sometimes I really strongly dislike people and their selfish entertainment crap (I mean it's bad for the environment too).

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:40 am

Changed the food to one with only 50% duck and 50% sweet potato, squash, evening prim rose oil. Doing MUCH better! Don't want to jinx it yet, but hopefully this will work out longer! I added some potato and eggs yesterday as he needs some weight back on and that went well too. *fingers crossed*

2dogpack
Hopelessly addicted

Postby 2dogpack » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:07 pm

How about adding a nice probiotic, too? Sounds like you're on your way to what works for him.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”