More about DE, worms, and how I can overreact sometimes ...

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
connie
Built-in Forum Feature

More about DE, worms, and how I can overreact sometimes ...

Postby connie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Sherri's thread about worms, and replies about DE, brought this to mind for me, and to not hijack Sherri's thread:

A month or so ago I posted that I found flea dirt on Mike and on Shiri, and that Frontline completely FAILED to eradicate traces of fleas (I still haven't seen an actual flea, but never mind that), so I went to diatomaceous earth. (Which, BTW, I order from Wolf Creek Ranch: http://www.wolfcreekranch.net/diatomaceous_earth.html ) Every time I saw one speck of ANYTHING on either of them, I applied more DE. Mike started to puff clouds of the stuff when anyone petted him!

Shiri has a horrible reaction to fleas, always has. She loses her hair and looks absolutely abused. But even after I found nothing on Mike any longer, I kept seeing little white specks on Shiri, and I thought 'OMG, flea eggs!' and I put more DE on her. Yesterday I bathed her, and this morning I saw little white specks again, and by now I think I'm going crazy, because THERE ARE NO FLEAS! It's 10 degrees outside, I don't have carpeting, I have a leather sofa and an air bed, my house is old and drafty, there simply are no fleas in residence here. None of the other dogs show any signs of fleas, yet Shiri has little white specks. That really don't match the photos of flea eggs I find on Google; they look more like ... dandruff.

My dog has dry skin. My dog has had so much DE put on her that she's as dry as the Mohave Desert. This is not helping her coat re-grow, either. Poor Shiri!

So now I'm wondering: what can I give her that will help the situation that I created with my overzealous application of DE? She gets salmon oil every day, should I maybe add Missing Link or something like that to her meals? Any suggestions?

Oh, and Mike is getting DE with his meals because I saw tapes in his stool. I can't give him any chemicals, his liver would probably explode. :(

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Re: More about DE, worms, and how I can overreact sometimes

Postby Carson_Crazies » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 pm

That really don't match the photos of flea eggs I find on Google; they look more like ... dandruff.

My dog has dry skin. My dog has had so much DE put on her that she's as dry as the Mohave Desert. This is not helping her coat re-grow, either. Poor Shiri!
I'm sorry, but it has to be said. lol lol lol

That sounds like something I would do.

This is me laughing WITH you. Unless you're not laughing. In that case I take it back.

I might try some coconut oil.
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Perhaps a day at the spa with a hot oil treatment? LOL....Do you think if you get all the DE washed out and do a good condition, that will straighten things out? Do you think she needs more fat in her diet?

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Can dogs get the CO treatment? Sometimes I give MYSELF a Coconut Oil hair treatment. CO all over the scalp. Warm, damp towel wraps for 1/2 hour, and then shampoo/rinse. Would that work for a dog?? Maybe follow up with a buddy rinse? http://www.cloudstar.com/prodcat/buddy-rinse.asp

I have no idea. Or rather the ideas I have probably suck. lol
Laura & the Crazies:

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:34 pm

I was reading along and thinking to myself "Poor Shiri's skin must be a dry flaky mess with all that DE", and then.....dandruff. :lol: Sorry, but it IS funny!

Can you double her fish oil? I was giving Oliver a double dose of fish oil for awhile (from 1 tsp/day to 1 tsp/meal) when he didn't seem to like the taste of his food; his coat was so silky soft and shiny, and not a speck of dandruff anywhere. You wouldn't have believed you were petting a beagle. I went back to the normal 1 tsp/day dosage a month or so ago because he was getting a layer of lazy winter fat, and sure enough, I started finding a tiny bit of dandruff in the last week. It really makes a noticeable difference in his skin and fur.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Well, where the fleas had at her, her coat is so sparse that I could do an oil treatment without too much trouble! And oh yes, Laura, I am laughing. :rofl: Shiri is not, but I am so relieved that I am not hosting some mutant strain of indestructible flea that I'm quite amused!

I think I will double her fish oil for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. She's being made to go on long walks now (I am in one of my Mean To Shiri phases, which I call my It's For Your Own Damn Good phases), so it won't chunk her up terribly.

And maybe a conditioner would help. I don't usually use conditioners when I bathe the Shelties; conditioners tend to make the hair limp and silky, and it holds dirt that way. But this might be a good time to use one.

I'm also giving her Immuplex to help strengthen/balance her immune system, and Tibetan Allergy Support. She's going to be 12 next summer, she's not a spring Sheltie any longer. :(

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:03 pm

DE is quite absorbent, that's why I personally wouldn't leave it on an animal for extended periods of time. This stuff is used to deal with oil spills and other cleanup. lol It's also not healthy to breathe the dust, as the particles are very irritating to the lungs. When applying it (to the dog or carpets etc.) try to get as little of it airborne as possible (e.g. don't use a brush to work it into the carpet).

I think for immediate help a topical treatment would be useful for Shiri's skin. Anything supplemented internally takes quite some time to work its way out. When Quigley had issues with dry skin, I used Jason conditioner for him and it worked great. http://www.jason-natural.com/product/078522000297

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks, Sabine, I'll pick up some of that at the health food store tomorrow.

I did apply some Vitamin E oil topically. Rowley and Beau suggested I coat her in peanut butter, but I don't think they were being very helpful. :fie:

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:21 pm

I wonder if that would help the Turd. She gets dry, dandruffy skin sometimes.
Laura & the Crazies:

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:26 pm

It's Beau's birthday and Rowley's g-day, I say roll her highness in peanut butter as their present. :sgrin: I wonder if double fish oil would help Max's winter skin too, it might be worth a shot.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”