Anyone out there dealing with Liver Disease in a Young Dog?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
CatStamm
Quite involved

Anyone out there dealing with Liver Disease in a Young Dog?

Postby CatStamm » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:01 am

I realize Liver Disease can vary as to it's origin....but If anyone has any personal experience or thoughts...they would be appreciated.
One can make themself crazy reading the internet...and waiting to see if the approach we are taking is working.
thank you

Laura855
Just popping in

Re: Anyone out there dealing with Liver Disease in a Young Dog?

Postby Laura855 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:33 pm

Though my dog was older when she started having elevated liver values (never found the exact reason). My vet put her on Marin, a supplement with milk thistle, and a few other things to support the liver. Her liver values did drop after starting it. You can also get it online it's not prescription. I also looked into a more liver friendly diet that was not crappy Science Diet. My dog was also having seizures and I came across a liver friendly diet from Dr. Jean Dodds who has done a lot of research on canine epilepsy. If I remember right, it recommended protein from white fish (I used tilapia)and cottage cheese. I also got a consult from Mordonna and her diet supported what I had read. It can only help to put your dog on the best diet possible, one that is natural and not processed. I truley believe that a quality home prepared diet can help any dog. I would highly suggest getting a consult from Mordonna and going from there. She can help you with specific dietary concerns. And remember the liver is very resiliant and sometimes can heal. I was lucky to have an open minded vet who didn't give me grief for wanting to do things differently. I hope you find an approach that is a success!

CatStamm
Quite involved

Postby CatStamm » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Thank you for the reply
So until we know more....
each meal is:
RAW BEEF 3 oz
Rolled Oats (for absortion)
tablespoon pumpkin
one boiled organic egg (low in copper)
teas Apple cider vinagar with mother
1/4 teas probiotics; particularly Lactobacillus acidophilas
62 mg clavamox (he had 5 teeth pulled on Friday )
125 mg ester-C
Islandic Salmon oil
Stand process Immune support
Standard Process Enteric support
Standard Process Muscleosketatal support
50mg Milk Thistle

teas. RAW unfiltered, unheated, organic honey

*sigh* ... I don't think I forgot anything. :D
He has and appt Thursday with a Veterinary Dr of Chinese Medicine, accupunture....
next is and acid/bile test.... etc...
Since he is a rescue with NO history it is really hard... BUT thank you again :)

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Unfortunately that's not a balanced diet - if you are feeding only boneless meat, you need a calcium supplement at the very least, or you are going to have an awful lot of unbalanced phosphorus in there.

For liver problems the diet should be low in fat and moderate in protein content. Use only very lean beef, and I wouldn't recommend two eggs every day either, one size large egg provides over 5 grams of fat. All the fat is in the yolk though, so feeding some egg white is fine.

If you are talking about icelandic salmon oil as the brand "Iceland Pure" - I wouldn't recommend it, since it's from farmed salmon.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:39 pm

[quote=Mordanna]
If you are talking about icelandic salmon oil as the brand "Iceland Pure" - I wouldn't recommend it, since it's from farmed salmon. [/quote]

ARG I just bought some of that :banghead: I'm sure the store owner told me it was wild.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:10 pm

IMO, the company is somewhat sketchy.

Nowhere on their site can you find anything about their salmon oil coming from wild salmon - but they don't tell you it's farmed either. I never got a reply to my emails asking if it is wild salmon or not, but incidentally salmon farming is big business in Iceland. Other emails I sent (from a different account) that didn't touch on the subject, were answered.

Their site does mention that their new sardine/anchovy product is from wild caught fish though, and the same goes for the cod liver oil.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:28 pm

[quote=Mordanna]IMO, the company is somewhat sketchy.

Nowhere on their site can you find anything about their salmon oil coming from wild salmon - but they don't tell you it's farmed either. I never got a reply to my emails asking if it is wild salmon or not, but incidentally salmon farming is big business in Iceland. Other emails I sent (from a different account) that didn't touch on the subject, were answered.

Their site does mention that their new sardine/anchovy product is from wild caught fish though, and the same goes for the cod liver oil. [/quote]

eeeenteresting and a total bummer since one big thing of salmon oil lasts me a long while and wasn't cheap. All I can get locally is that and Grizzly Salmon oil or Urban Carnivore brand which has a PIA small bottle with no pump. I'm one province in form the pacific, why can't I get decent fish oil?

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:49 pm

Grizzly salmon oil is made from wild caught salmon. It used to be farmed salmon several years ago, but that changed.

Aubergine
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Aubergine » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:19 pm

[quote=sammy] I'm one province in form the pacific, why can't I get decent fish oil? [/quote]

Even *on* the Pacific, we don't have that great of a selection :hmm: I've seen Grizzly in a few stores, plus on or two other brands whose names elude me right now, but that's about it. It's weird that there's no local B.C. salmon oil available. It might be a NAFTA issue.

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:19 am

[quote=sammy][quote=Mordanna]
If you are talking about icelandic salmon oil as the brand "Iceland Pure" - I wouldn't recommend it, since it's from farmed salmon. [/quote]

ARG I just bought some of that :banghead: I'm sure the store owner told me it was wild. [/quote]

Yeah, I just bought some of that too. Arg. I really like it too, since it doesn't give Ella after-dinner Fishy burps (she likes to do them *right* in my face). Oh well, we'll swtich to seapet after we run out.

CatStamm
Quite involved

Postby CatStamm » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:15 pm

Since my bottle is NEW also... will it be OK to give until I can get SeaPet?

Today was a good day....
Cooper had an appt with The Holistic Vet...
After going through all coop's labs and tests...
We started with diet and I shared what I have been doing as well as suggestions that Sabine has kindly made "Thank You"
We are going to go with the Dr Dobb's "Liver Cleaning Diet" :)
For supplements he prescribed T.A.P.S by Thorne
http://www.thorne.com/order_online.wss/ ... 8444e30448
Other supplements I will continue are
Ester-C, salmon oil, probiotics, raw honey, and ACV (I actually forget to ask about the ACV but I think it will be fine)
I also forgot to ask him about a B complex vitamin, which I need to get.... so if anyone uses one that they recommend that would be wonderful.Although we really can't tell much until the next blood panel...
He did say he looks GREAT, stool is great, appetite Great, fluid intake Great,... he actually gained 1/4 lb!!!
He looked at his tongue and felt various pulses and said they were very good and strong....
So we will start on the new diet and supplement course ...and see where we are in 4 weeks ...
Well wishes gratefully accepted....
Pics of Cooper have been posted :)
Thank you all so much

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:27 pm

Good news for Cooper! I hope the diet changes and good care help him. He's a real cutie.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:13 pm

Since he's a small guy, I would go with this product:
http://www.purecaps.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=BCP1
One capsule daily. There is no point in giving more (or a higher-dosed product), since any B vitamins the body can't use are washed out in the urine right away. I mostly recommend the NOW B complex tabs because they are an excellent product and not expensive, but for small dogs you'd have to cut each one into several pieces and anything beyond breaking them in half is a hassle. Plus they don't stay fresh very long, so you don't want to keep around a huge supply for a long time.

Thorne makes very nice products, so that should work out well.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”