SORBS.net - need help - not ODO related

New user or questions about forum features?
Please read/post here.
yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

SORBS.net - need help - not ODO related

Postby yintzy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:51 am

I've been getting complaints from clients that the two email addresses that I use for business are bouncing back to them. I've noticed that I have not been getting a lot of email. This seems to be an intermittent problem. This is NOT good since I am planning to start classes and am wondering why I'm not getting requests. I'm sure this is causing me to loose business.

Anyway, I gave it a test and sure enough the email bounced back on both addresses. I opened a trouble ticket with the hosting company - directnic.com who I have my domains and pop3 email through. However, email is sent through earthlink because earthlink will block my email if it's sent through directnics pop3.

Directnic gets back to me and says the message is that I've been blocked as a spammer by SORBS.net I just use these email addresses for correspondence with clients and potential clients who contact me for my services. I never send out unsolicted mail. Directnic says it's out of their control. However, earthlink is included in their routing address so I wonder if they're involved. I've been to SORBS and I can't find myself as being listed with them. It doesn't make any sense. I have no idea how to fix this. Does anyone know anything about what can be happening? I really don't know much about computers and the internet. I can use my programs and that's about it. I am not a big company and don't have anyone for tech support. Any computer geeks who want to help, I'd greatly appreciate it. I can send you copies of the error messages if that helps.

Slicks_Mom
Hopelessly addicted

Re: SORBS.net - need help - not ODO related

Postby Slicks_Mom » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:59 am

hmmm.. Is it possible that someone inadvertently *reported* your address as spam? I really don't know, just a thought.. Very weird and BAD for your business though.

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:06 pm

Since you send your outgoing (SMTP) mail through Earthlink, it would mean that Earthlink's mail server is listed on SORBS. It's not the user that gets listed, it's the mail server you go through. Earthlink has multiple servers so it may just be some that are listed. You'll have to take the issue up with Earthlink. You might also consider using a full host provider that supports alternate SMTP ports so you can bypass Earthlink's restriction.

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:35 pm

Thanks. I've been on the line with Earthlink all day to no avial. I'm completely frustrated.

Panther, do you have any suggestions on providers that I can by-pass Earthlink?

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:07 pm

Just do a search for "web hosting" and I'm sure you'll come up with a long list.
You'll have to go through them, possibly contact some directly to find out of they have alternate SMTP ports for you to send your mail through.

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:37 am

Thanks. I ended up changing my web hosting to yahoo. I have a lot of technical difficulties with directnic and I don't like their web mail interface. So anyway, I can transfer everything over to yahoo and use their web based email which should solve the problem. I took the time to re-design my web site while at it. Hopefully my re-designation will be finished tomorrow and I can go live ASAP.

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Brenda » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:53 am

If you'd like a gmail addy, Yintzy, let me know and I can send you an invite.

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:34 am

Hopefully you didn't turn over your domain to them. They outsource domain hosting to a company in Australia who then holds them for randsom if you ever want to move it elsewhere. Keep DirectNIC as your registrar - they're very good for that.

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:59 am

Thanks. I didn't transfer my domain and plan to keep directnic. I appreciate the advice. And thankfully, my email is up and running.

Return to “Support”