Max users online?

New user or questions about forum features?
Please read/post here.
MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Max users online?

Postby MaisyPancakes » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:55 am

Just curious, once again! I don't know why, but I get kind of excited to see if the "max users online" has changed, especially when there's a lot of people online. Am I lame?

In any case, is it "max users online" all at once, or during the course of 24 hours? I've been wondering this for a while.

Thanks!

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Re: Max users online?

Postby Sabine » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:46 pm

No, you are not lame. I'm very interested in web statistics myself.

The number refers to the maximum number of people visiting the forum at the same time.

In a 24 hour period the average number of visitors is currently around 350. This is a count of "unique visitors" and doesn't include any regulars logging in and out multiple times each day.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:56 pm

Thanks, Mordy, my fellow fabulous nerdstress!

Stats in general fascinate me, especially how you can skew them in real life applications. "Stats for Social Sciences" (i.e., not for *real* mathatheletes!) was one of the coolest classes I've taken. Ahhhh, the art of Liberal Arts education.

Wow, that's a lot of users all at once! So it must include non-registered users, too. Cool to know about the average 24-period unique visitors -- That's awesome!

Thanks!

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:12 pm

So it must include non-registered users, too.
Yes, the "max online" includes both registered and unregistered users, and also robots/spiders crawling sites to index content for search engines.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:14 pm

Cool. Thanks!!

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:22 pm

All that technical info - who needs it? Sheesh, that's almost as bad as those people who get into detailed statistics on their game playing. Don't they know it's just a game??

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:17 pm

Teeheehee!

You mean people like this???

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:06 am

Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:46 am

Heeheee...busted!

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:54 am

So busted

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:37 am

Teeheehee!

HAHAHAHHAAHHAHAA! Soooo busted! Dan was into all of that stuff when we were dating and now he is just too darned busy.

I love stats and figuring them out..... Dan and I work well that way LOL! Plus I think that our whole lives are based on databases and spreadsheets We are such nerds

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:06 pm

Teeheehee!

Well, since I wrote the stats system I had to test it, right?

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:38 pm

Of course, Panther

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:42 am

It's OK Panther. The first step is to admit that you have a problem.

I can't say much. One time I developed an elaborate spreadsheet to calculate the elemental protections, and damage ratings that certain types of ingots (ie valorite vs. verite) had on armor and weapons for Ultima Online. I used it to calculate what pieces I needed to put together to have certain resistances, and what enhancements I needed to put on certain weapons to gain certain types of damages. Yah, I'm a geek and I'll admit it.
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:47 am

Laura, you played UO???? How cool is that!

I used to be very involved in that game, here's my old site.

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:47 am

http://www.strangeworld.com/uo/armor/
http://www.strangeworld.com/uo/smithcalc.php
http://www.strangeworld.com/uo/bods/

Although, unlike Unreal Tournament, I never got paid for any of the stuff I did for UO....

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:01 pm

Laura, you played UO???? How cool is that!

I used to be very involved in that game, here's my old site.
Still do play some! Well, it would be more accurate to say I keep my accts open, but don't have a lot of time to play. DH and I did marathon gaming back when we only had Ginger.

I have been to your site before! I play Atlantic, but I've been to that one.

Hey, Panther, AWESOME! All three of those are great! I never would have had the gumption to post any of my stuff publicly, so I'm glad people like you did! I wish I had seen your sites long time ago! Back when they changed over from the old system (the old magic stuff and AR vs. the new broken down into elemental crap) it took me a while to catch up with what's going on. Course we just spent a lot of time getting our butts handed to us in Dragon Scale armor before we figured out it had become useless.
Laura & the Crazies:

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:45 am

The game went downhill as soon as they split up the world and introduced Trammel. In trying to create a more newbie friendly world they destroyed the things that made Ultima great. I enjoyed the game from both a role playing aspect and for PvP. The ever-present dangers trying to survive in the game was a big part of what made it fun. Plus I loved beheading people.

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:59 am

I'm inclined to agree with you on this.

I just got with Dh for a timeline... we started just right after Publish 16 - I think Aug. '02. Well, he started before that and then quit, and restarted. He didn't tell me that there was a Trammel, so I pretty much had never set foot in Tram until I had GM'd my first miner/smith. I got killed a lot - lost a lot of pakkys. At that time, Fel was still pretty busy on Atlantic. I found I liked Fel FAR better - even though I don't actively PvP. I enjoyed the game during LBR, hated AOS, and never really have liked any changes since. All this new samurai crap and whatnot doesn't appeal to me at all. The only new thing I really liked was the option to be a Paladin. Wouldn't give two cents for any of the other new ones.

BUT, I enjoy developing char's and working on skills - that's the part that's fun to me. I also enjoy socializing, and helping newbs, so a lot of the changes didn't matter that much to me. Unfortunately with my fav. char's maxxed out and the changes having left me somewhat behind, I feel like its not as worth it anymore.
The ever-present dangers trying to survive in the game was a big part of what made it fun.
Exactly.
Laura & the Crazies:

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:08 pm

Plus I loved beheading people.

Gotta love that!

Sorry that's my only contribution to this topic. When I tried to read it, it went something like this:

Ultima Online Dungeons and Dragons armor and weapons beheading people wait! beheading people?
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:41 pm

Paula, you crack me up.

Unfortunately they had done away with beheading and bounty hunting by the time I came along - trying to de-bloody the game some. I was a tad disappointed in that part.
Laura & the Crazies:

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:57 pm

BUT, I enjoy developing char's and working on skills - that's the part that's fun to me. I also enjoy socializing, and helping newbs, so a lot of the changes didn't matter that much to me. Unfortunately with my fav. char's maxxed out and the changes having left me somewhat behind, I feel like its not as worth it anymore.
I started out in 1998 as a fighter, but after dying a lot, losing expensive armor too much, and generally being just plain broke, I started a blacksmith/miner. A friend of mine joined me and we went mining around southwest of Trinsic. There we were harassed by thieves and murderers. Some would threaten our lives if we didn't hand over our ingots. Some would just straight out kill us. So then I switched to using my fighter whilst my friend would mine. I would stay hidden away until he was threatened and then I'd go after the scoundrel. I found that most of those who prayed on miners were quite weak and I soon learned the joy of killing such people.

I developed several characters at the same time, and while I did develop my blacksmith to a grandmaster smith and miner, my favorite was always my main character, a very versatile fighter. Not some pure fighter, but a nice combination of skills. I was often called upon to run rescue missions. I remember one time it was Mordanna who called for help. It seems her and a friend had been out in the Wind tunnels with their pets when a murderous pair killed them. I headed there immediately (always ready for such runs). When I arrived I spotted two people - one red, one blue, standing over the corpses of Mordanna and her friend, busy at work looting them. So I casually walked up to them and said, "Greetings."

The pair seems a bit confused. They just stood there for a second looking at me completely unsure as to what kind of person would just walk up to a pair of murderers and greet them. One of them replied, "'sup". I drew my katana (of power) and said, "Today's a good day to die.", and charged.

Now, if they had stood there together and fought me as a pair as I'm sure they were used to doing to take down their hapless victims, I'd have stood little chance alone. However, I confused them then surprised them and they panicked. They ran...in opposite directions. I chased each of them down and killed them, one at a time. I recovered the items they looted and then some, and resurrected Mordanna and her friend.

That is what I lived for in that game.

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:07 am

I drew my katana (of power) and said, "Today's a good day to die.", and charged.
Now I've got chill bumps. Mordanna and her friend were blessed to have the likes of you at their defense that day. I'll bet it took not long for those murderers to realize they had made a grave mistake THAT day!
Laura & the Crazies:

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:18 pm

Actually, the funny thing about the kind of people I usually went up against is that when I'd kill them they were quick to mouth off at how I suck, I'm a n00b, I cheat, they were lagging, I used lame/cheap tactics, or how their other character would kick my butt. Often all these at once. I never could understand how I was the n00b if I killed them. Hmmmm.

I did once start an assassin, but he just didn't make it in the evil department.
http://www.strangeworld.com/uo/peell/firstday.html

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:03 pm

That's great Panther - I love the recount. My Dh started an assassin once, but the only thing he owned was Mongbats.
Laura & the Crazies:

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:09 pm

Well, some of us spent a bit more time on that game than others. I remember when Trinsic was under attack (Ryan is my character) by undead, I had to cancel some appointments due to me being too busy defending the city of Trinsic. That link is a copy of the post on UO Stratics by the way.

Then there was my alchemist / poisoner who took to fishing on the side. He ended up becoming a pirate.
http://www.strangeworld.com/uo/victor/

BrandiM

Postby BrandiM » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:43 pm

What you've been describing is why I don't really have a desire to try online games. I play AD&D with a group of friends and with them, I know they're not going to get all pissy if something bad happens to their character. They're mature enough to deal with it and go on.

Listening to total strangers whine because they're not smart enough to use or understand strategy doesn't sound very fun to me.

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:03 am

The whining part was just their idiocy. The fun part was killing them.

Return to “Support”