Cookie problem

New user or questions about forum features?
Please read/post here.
Amanda
Permanent Resident

Cookie problem

Postby Amanda » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:03 pm

I am having trouble with the "dogs in need" forum. It constantly says that there are new messages in it, even though I've read everything posted in there. I've tried expiring my cookies more than once, but it's not working. What else can I try?

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Re: Cookie problem

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:15 pm

Man, I'm having the same thing! It comes and goes for me. Usually, it's the Dog in Need, but others like the Support forum says there are new messages (when I've viewed them all), also.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with people having modified/edited their posts? So, they're not new, but since something changed, the "clock" says that there's a new file? (The server "clock" is how a lot of FTP clients determine new/old/modified status of files, so just guessin'.)

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:33 pm

Have you tried resetting your cookies? Your "My Home" page has some maintenance settings you can use.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:02 pm

Yeah, I have tried that Mordy... any other ideas? Should I delete all my cookies? I'm using IE.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:04 pm

I don't think there's a need to delete cookies unrelated to ODO, but since you are using IE, everything is possible.

Have you considered switching to Firefox?

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:50 pm

I've cleared all my cookies, expired only my ODO ones and I'm still seeing new thread markings on Dogs In Need. I may switch to FireFox- I've used it before and liked it. Just haven't got it on this laptop yet. But if Nana is having the same problem and she's using Firefox... it seems like it isn't a browser problem...

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Brenda » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:16 pm

It's working fine in Opera - threads show new then I read them then it's gone...

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:48 pm

Have you checked the time on your computer? If it is off, that might be a problem.

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:15 am

I have had this same problem and I am currently using FireFox..... I assumed that part of the forum was set up differently...

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:42 am

Nope, computer clock is correct. I re-synchronized it too and I'm still getting it. It tells me that there is one new thread and seven new posts in the forum. I wonder if it happened when the PBT rescue thread got locked and that other one was moved??

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:25 am

It shouldn't happen, but it's possible. Hopefully it will go away with the next upgrade.

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Brenda » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:11 pm

Well, like I said, I'm having no problems - it's working fine for me, as it should.

Try Opera, guys!!! It works great

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:16 pm

I find that if you have read a forum and then backspace to the main forum list, it looks like there is still an unread new message - what I have learned is that if you read a forum then click to main index again, the unread notices go away. It took me awhile to figure that out. Is this any help?

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:34 pm

Bari, it didn't even occur to me that people might use the back button instead of the links. The page needs to reload (one way or another) for the "new" messages to go away, since this is part of the information stored in the cookie.

I notice that when I click on the "last post" link of a thread instead of on the subject line itself, it does not get marked as read either.

The next version of the forum software is currently in beta testing and I hope it will become available soon. Bug fixes aside, there will also be some very nice new features.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:14 pm

I've noticed that same thing Bari, but that's not the problem I'm having. If I go and read everything written on the forum, then leave to go to another site, then come back- any new posts are marked as new AND the dogs in need forum is marked new even though there isn't anything new added to it. And it's always marked the same, one new thread, 7 new posts with Andria being the last poster. I'm confused, but hopefully the update will help...

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:54 pm

Just wanted to say that since new material has been added to the dogs in need forum, I'm no longer having this problem. It must have had something to do with the moved and locked threads in there.

Return to “Support”