getting notifications of new responses

New user or questions about forum features?
Please read/post here.
emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

getting notifications of new responses

Postby emmas_mom » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:42 pm

I no longer seem to be getting email notifications of topics I have bookmarked/subscribed to. I've double checked my user control panel, and the threads in question - they are definitely set for notifications but nothing's coming through and nor is it going into my junk mail.
I can't recall if I've received any notifications since we switched to the new board. Is anyone else having this problem? How do I fix it?
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Re: getting notifications of new responses

Postby JudyL » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Jean, you have to "subscribe" to a topic to receive the notifications. Scroll to the bottom of said topic and you'll see the "subscribe topic" in the lower left. Clicking there will do it. You can review and manage your topic subscriptions in the user control panel. Once you select the "subscribe topic" it changes to "unsubscribe" that you can also click on if you want to stop receiving notifications.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks Judy. I was bookmarking them, and then when I looked at the topic I saw the word 'subscribe' with a check mark beside it, so I thought that mean I was subscribed. Turns out the check mark is meaningless, you have to click on the word!

That being the case, what does 'bookmark' do, if it doesn't send notifications? I don't see anything telling me my bookmarked threads have new posts. In other words, what is the difference between 'subscribe' and 'bookmark' ?

By the time I figure out this new board, I'm sure we'll have moved on to yet another one. Story of my life.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:14 pm

As I understand it, bookmarking does just that, create a bookmark for a particular topic. Subscribing lets you pick entire forums as well as single topics and will add the notification when new posts are made.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:21 pm

I just posted a link to the full phpBB user guide that explains all the nifty features.

Even I haven't played around with all of them yet. :)

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:48 pm

Thanks Sabine!
Looks like I need to remember to click 'subscribe' rather than bookmark. I don't see that bookmark does anything, as the only way I can find out what I've bookmarked is by going into my user control panel, which is just one extra step - may as well just check out active topics instead.
I like the user guide you posted - it is actually user-friendly! LOL

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:17 pm

Yeah, they did a great job of compiling that. I wish they would include it along with the FAQ.

The bookmarks can be useful if you have a particular thread you'd want to have handy to refer back to for specific information.

Return to “Support”