Is this puppy TOO good?

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Is this puppy TOO good?

Postby Calypso » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:36 am

I'll start out by saying 1) Cousteau was such an awful puppy that I'm just now, 17 years later, thinking maybe all puppies aren't evil incarnate and 2) I had very few border collie puppies in my puppy classes. Typically the ones we had only got into class because there was something wrong and the humans we already really far over their heads with the dog and we had lots of remedial problems to deal with.

My good friend adopted what we are pretty sure is a smooth border collie or a mix that highly border collie. The dog was dumped in rural Tennessee, was pulled from a busy unlimited access shelter, and sent north via Pilots for Paws or whatever that group is. He was just under 4 months old or so when he got into foster care, according to the number of teeth he was losing. He's been to 3 different vets - rescue's, foster's, and my friend's - and all vets have declared him healthy as part of the basic check ups.

This dog is freakishly good. He's got excellent dog skills, which doesn't surprise me a ton if he was on a farm with a lot of dogs and even if he wasn't, the dogs he was with in foster care are excellent for puppies. He gravitates toward kids and is appropriate. He doesn't do a lot of mouthing or nipping, which actually worries me a touch because I want him to learn his jaw strength, but as he gets more comfortable he's mouthing a bit more so I feel better. After a 15-20 minute walk in the morning and 15-20 minutes of stop and go play with my dogs he's ready to chill on the couch for a few hours, then gets the same in the evening. He's not perfect - he jumped out of a 3 ft expen and found stuffed animals to mouth on (thankfully not destroy!), has a thing for shoes, and forgets to let my friend know that he has to pee from time to time, but that's all minor puppy stuff.

He's about 5 months old now, so I know he's still a baby, but he just seems sooooooo chill for a puppy, especially a border collie puppy. Thinking back Havana and Pixel weren't terrors compared to Cousteau, but that's a pretty high bar he set. Pixel was my easiest puppy and I attributed that to having older kids and Havana to nanny him.

Basically, just reassure me that my friend hasn't adopted Cujo who will rip out his throat while he sleeps one night when he hits 2 years old or something. :lol: I am trying to keep in mind that the dog has had a boatload of changes in the past month and he's probably still in his honeymoon phase. I just don't want his good behavior now to suppress exploring he needs to do in order to be a stable adult. I know that sounds kind of weird. I guess I've been a dog trainer for too long!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Is this puppy TOO good?

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:17 pm

Will and Sam are both like that. Will had a bit of stranger danger for a while, but other than that sounds like your description. Natural off switch--it's a good thing. Will can work as long as you're making it fun/interesting/reinforcing, but if there's nothing to do , he settles. Traits I sought out that his parents both possess and that he thus far, does too:
-natural off switch, easy to live with
-dog friendly and appropriate
-people friendly
-biddable, smart, good
- Not destructive chewers

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:34 pm

No, he's not too good, Rowley was that way also. He didn't do ANY of the obnoxious puppy things, and all he wanted was to be with me and figure out what I wanted him to do.

Those smooth BCs, they're awesome. :love:

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:07 am

Charley was like that - border collie cross who was the easiest pup in the world. Her mom was a chill border collie, her dad a rough collie. Charley's only annoying behaviour was her tendency to nudge my hand repeatedly to make me pat her. Okay, and her attempts to herd me. But as a pup, her behaviour was stellar from the get go - with big people, little people, dogs and cats.
Mom to Maggie, Emma and Allie, and occasional foster mom. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie and Mitzi.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:37 am

Glad to hear everyone's normal-adult-good-puppy stories. I've spent some more time with the puppy and there is puppy behavior coming out more and more. Not super naughty, but enough. :-)

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:07 am

Oh yeah, immaturity will express itself, but some puppies really are comparatively trouble-free! How nice for them if they got one of those. :thumbup:

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”