Best chew shape?

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Best chew shape?

Postby Calypso » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:50 am

With Havana on crate rest I'm looking at getting something for her to chew on during the day. She can take care of a 12" regular bully stick in about 40 minutes and that's not bad, but I'd like something longer if possible. I'm looking at the Best Bully Stick website and they have crazy shape and "lollypop" with a knot at one end. They also have twisted up cow bladder. Any thoughts? I'm just about to go down and dig out a marrow bone for her which will last awhile, but hopefully I'll get it before she's had enough to get loose stools.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Best chew shape?

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:22 pm

Best for being long lasting? I think the longest lasting thing I created was a huge kong with frozen stuff and a bully stick frozen in the center. I've only bought regular shaped bullies and the large beef tendons.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Re: Best chew shape?

Postby MaisyPancakes » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:29 pm

I'm no help in the slow-it-down department, but I've bought the bullysticks with the knots on the end and they sucked butt. The knots come undone easily if you chew down the thinnest part (i.e., only as strong as the weakest link type thing), and you end up with a bunch of C-shaped chokable pieces. :/ Maybe Vani is better about stuff, but they were a "swerve off the road to pull over immediately and remove from mouth" for MP!!

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”