Paper-product obsessed dog

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Paper-product obsessed dog

Postby EllaBella » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:53 am

So, Kirby, despite being 3-4 years old, thinks he's basically a puppy and needs to constantly be chewing. He eats boxes, books, papers, tissues, the child's paper planes, napkins, toilet paper (yes, I caught him pulling it off the roll!). He has 20 toys, but doesn't really want to *chew* on anything--not ruubber, various fabrics, fleece braids, etc. We do bully sticks but that's only for 20 supervised separated minutes on some evenings.

What else can I get this dog to chew on? I'm worried about blockages with the amount of paper products he keeps trying to consume. I need something non-food, so I can leave it out for him without worry of Fraggle starting crap or it being a safety issue around my kid (yes, apparently, Fraggle will start crap over bully sticks!).

Has anyone found anything that would interest a paper-obsessed dog? It doesn't seem to be as much about the ripping/shredding/destroying as it is he loves the taste of paper products...he'll sit on my lap while I'm reading a book and slowly, sneakily, open his mouth for a yawn and then close it on the book, looking right at me as he does it...

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Paper-product obsessed dog

Postby Calypso » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:11 am

Ok. That image of Kirby chewing on your book so casually cracks me up. How does he feel about cardboard? I'm wondering if you could give him chunks of really thick cardboard, like from extra sturdy boxes from Costco or somewhere. He can mouth it and taste is, but getting and ingesting pieces would take work.

If it makes you feel any better, I used to walk my vet's dog. Sometimes we'd cross paths when he came home for lunch and his golden would run up to him and steal the napkin or paper towel he was using right off the table. I even watched him just hand it to her once. Obviously he wasn't concerned. Granted, a golden is bigger than Kirby, but it's not like the dog chewed before she swallowed it.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Paper-product obsessed dog

Postby SherriA » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:28 am

I can't help but laugh at the mental image!

I've got no ideas for you. I've never had a dog who ate paper. Henry LOVES to shred paper, but shows no interest in actually ingesting it. (I think he's trying to make food come out of it by ripping it to bits - used napkins, tissues, etc - since he's not interested in unused paper of any sort) Oliver liked to eat used qtips, so I had to keep them out of all trash cans and in a closed container until they could be taken directly to the outdoor trash bins, but that was the weirdest I've had to deal with.

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”