humping help

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

humping help

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:19 pm

Max is humping, more so than "typical" which was rare. I don't know exactly why it's escalated but I intend to address it at his next appt with his vet. It used to be that he would hump when he was very visibly overstimulated, like when we would have lots of friends over for dinner or whatnot and it took a long time to get to that point. Lately he's having trouble regulating and managing those stressors, to the point that small, otherwise normal things, like me putting on my shoes before a walk, will trigger it. We've tried to put shoes on earlier and sit for a while before taking him and do other things to make triggers less so but he humps regardless because the act of putting on shoes is enough to raise his arousal. This is just one example but the behavior is getting more frequent. This really started ramping up about 2 months ago, about when his eyes went haywire with ulcers.

I know that he humps when he's overstimulated. I get it. It's a soothing behavior for him. I don't object to the humping, per se. I object to being the one humped. So, without intentionally triggering a situation, how do I get him to redirect? I would ideally like to have one object, probably a pillow, that he can hump with abandon whenever he needs to. I would also like, for the sake of company, be able to take the pillow to another room so we don't have to stare uncomfortably as he wildly humps a pillow. Because, well...awkward. Any ideas?
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

http://recycledrover.blogspot.com

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Re: humping help

Postby JudyL » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:39 pm

I can't remember, is he on any new meds since the eye problems began or that you started him on around that time, or for his ears? Any that might contain steroids?

I don't have any ideas about the humping except to try to get him onto the pillow or appropriately sized stuffed toy. I hope you can find something that works for him or helps him to not be so stressed. Have you tried any herbal supplements for him?

I can sort of relate to the stress humping though. Benson tries humping Cinnabon when he's left completely alone with her, even if it's when they're both let back in from the yard and I do something quick in the yard. When I come back in he's panting and buggy eyed with Cinnabon usually standing under a dining room chair so he can't fully get to her. He does settle down as soon as I come back in though, and I'm careful to never go away from home leaving him loose in the house with her.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:44 pm

If you know what the triggers are, how about having him go to mat?

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:54 pm

That's something we're working on for triggers we know about but sometimes the humping is random. Last night after we got home from a walk, for example, for no good reason that I could see, he latched on to my leg so I thought targeting the humped object might help.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:29 pm

Have you ever tried putting the humping on cue? I don't totally buy the 'put it on cue and never give it" plan because I think life backfires on that one, but if you can see him getting humpy you could direct him toward his sex toy instead of your leg.
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:06 pm

That's a good thought and kinda where I was headed, I just didn't want to have to innitiate the humping somehow, more of a captured behavior.

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”