1am Freak Out?

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

1am Freak Out?

Postby Calypso » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am

Anyone have any advice for their dogs freaking out in the middle of the night for no apparent reason? Pixel got worked up over something, but I don't know what. Havana didn't care and usually she likes to get up to back up his barks, so I think it was something minor or normal that got him going. He'd just do quiet growls and soft chuffs and woofs, then settle for a bit and juuuussssttt as I was falling back asleep, he'd do it again. I tried hushing him nicely, firmly, angrily, praising his quiet, calling him onto the bed, chasing him off of the bed, petting him gently. He just would. not. quit. I turned on the light and looked around. Nothing. I listened hard. Nothing.

Finally I put in ear plugs and I could still hear him a bit, but I could go back to sleep...until Wiggle decided at 3am that he didn't like the dark and needed to sleep in my bed. At that point I turned on a little fan because the bed was heating up with kid and dogs and me. Pixel stopped fussing then. I don't know if it was the fan, the change up, or if whatever he'd worried about was gone.

I'm going to try having the fan on just as a matter of course since he hasn't done it when I've had the fan on before, but I'm curious if anyone has some other ideas. Other than tying his tongue around his muzzle, which may or may not have come up about 1:45 last night... :whistle:

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Re: 1am Freak Out?

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:20 pm

Oh man that sucks. That has happened to me a few times away from home with Rosie.
I usually find my dogs are best convinced that they can let it go, if I "investigate" the source and pretend I know what it is and give the all clear.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:51 pm

That was Bella for years. I rarely heard her; DH dealt with it. If I recall, the advice from ODO was to crate her every time she woke him up until she gave up the habit. (The years part is because we didn't ask for help eifht away and then didn't follow the advice at first, not because it took that long to fix.)

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:34 pm

So is this happening often or just that one time?

What I thought about while reading your post is that Wiggle came into your room in the middle of the night.... Any chance he was up for a while before coming to your bed? Or could he have been talking in his sleep & Pixel heard it but couldn't really figure out what was going on? Then maybe W stopped making sounds when you woke up & listened?

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:56 pm

It is possible that Wiggle was moving around or that one of the girls was talking her in sleep. Seriously, they babble almost as much sleeping as they do when they're awake!

I'm hoping this is a rare occurrence. If it's not, I can drag out a crate, but I'll have to take it down every time we have a showing. Not the end of the world, I guess, especially if he learns not to do it anymore.

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”