Rowan update!

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Rowan update!

Postby Moemer » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:36 pm

Rowan is 16wks tomorrow! :shocked:

Random update infos!

He's still managed around A and E. Arlo tolerates a lot outside and I'm giving a bit more freedom there since A is expressing a bit of interest, and Elsie unfortunately is pretty stressed, but not in the way I expected. It's partly him in a general sense, but I think mostly the gate (and I'm on the other side of it - she doesn't like that) and her sound sensitivities. For the last week or two she's become really sensitive to ANY of his vocalizations. It used to just be the high pitched ones, but now his regular barks too. and he's a vocal dog. arrrrgh. She'll start shaking like a leaf. She's been on Shen Calm since before he came home, but unfortunately it's not doing enough. So I've got to figure out what to do about this (I HATE SOUND SENSITIVITIES!!!) At least Arlo is doing well, he's much less needy than Little E. Plus I think Little is getting a bit crazy, she's only got one eye, and I think is going deaf (but not deaf enough, obviously).

R had a pretty pronouced developmental blip at 12weeks. Clear fear period ("OMG PYLON!!!!"), and spontaneously and suddenly developed significant handling problems with regard to his harness (literally overnight!) that we still haven't worked through (which SUCKS because I don't like collars, and he's really got to be on a harness on a long line, and if not on a long line I can't do recall training, etc etc etc which means I'm CC one moment, and putting it on him the next. uuuugh.) He also lost ALL motivation to do any training at all during this time, as in he'd do one trial and then looked freaked out and actually take off. So of course I had about a week of full on panic that I ended up with a dog who can't provide what I'm looking for with regard to being useful for the business. Luckily we worked through that (knock wood), and focused a lot on cooporative play (of which he had no inclination to participate in) and he's become a retrieving machine despite his initial tendencies. We're just getting back to more formal foundation training and it's been going well, but I'm being so superduper careful of criteria, length of session, etc etc.

During that time I also started him tracking just as a low-pressure training activity, and he is pretty awesome. He tries SO hard, deals well with distractions (the few things that have cropped up, anyway). I've really only worked on concrete, save one short foray onto grass for a couple feet, but I'm thinking I might take this further than I initially intended. Possibly work toward a TD title?

Here's a video from Sunday! https://www.facebook.com/boenipton/vide ... =2&theater
(PS. if anyone wants excessive puppy pictures and you're not already my "friend" on FB, feel free to click the button on my page and your feed will fill up with puppy pictures)

That's all, folks!

Screen Shot 2015-07-21 at 3.34.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-21 at 3.34.04 PM.png (71.83 KiB) Viewed 780 times
Screen Shot 2015-07-21 at 3.33.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-21 at 3.33.34 PM.png (119.35 KiB) Viewed 780 times
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Rowan update!

Postby SherriA » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:53 pm

He's so damn cute!

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:04 pm

So cute. I love the nibble side-eye at the whippersnapper.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

http://recycledrover.blogspot.com

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:24 am

He's adorable. I'm glad you're having so much fun with him!

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”