Empty in 90 seconds flat!

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Empty in 90 seconds flat!

Postby Calypso » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:08 pm

It is entirely possible that Pixel isn't completely house trained, but we have him on a schedule that allows him to get outside when he needs to. We don't have issues in the level of the house where we spend most of our time, but until recently Pixel wasn't allowed downstairs where the bedrooms are because that was the cat's area.

The first few times he slipped downstairs and peed or pooped I thought maybe he figured since he wasn't in that area very often he was confused. Plus the carpet reeks of cat so it's an easy mistake I guess. Recently he got downstairs and was there for less than 2 minutes and he'd already peed/marked and pooped in the storage area.

I've noticed that he is less likely to empty out in the carpeted area now that he gets to go downstairs to sleep with me, but if the storage room door is open so is the restroom.

Not only is this gross and annoying, but we're moving to a new house at some point. I'd like to let the dogs have full run of the house from basement playroom to second floor bedrooms, but I don't know how best to stop this. Obviously I won't let him have run of the house until he's proven he can be trusted in smaller areas like a puppy, but my kids can't keep gates closed to save their lives.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Empty in 90 seconds flat!

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:49 pm

Oddly, Max did better when he had full run of the house from the get-go. When we lived in an apartment he would go if he could get into the area that was usually off limits. I always chalked it up to "not my house" space in his little brain so it was OK to eliminate there. He will also mark the cat box, given the opportunity and I associate that with smells. Max is a prolific overmarker, he just usually does it outside. We had to put a pee pad next to the box. Whether this helped or hindered our cause I don't know but it has kept the floors from being ruined.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

http://recycledrover.blogspot.com

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:19 pm

Belly band or pants?

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Belly band for sure. Not sure how to stop the pooping, although at least that takes longer so I have a better chance of catching him and letting him know that's not ok.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:19 pm

In the amount of time that it took me to go to the attached garage and get a bag he'd discovered the open gate, run downstairs, discovered the open storage room door, and poop and peed. He'd just been outside for THREE HOURS! We walked, he wrestled with Havana, he even played a bit with one of his friends this afternoon. How could he do that so fast?!?!??!

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:15 pm

Could this be connected to the night waking? Is there an animal in there waking him up and he is marking to send a message that it's his house?

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:36 pm

Possibly, but he had been doing it either in the playroom or the storage room until he started sleeping downstairs with me. I think he chooses that room because to his mind it's unoccupied space. If we hung out in the storage room together maybe he'd quit. I'm just so amazed at how persistent and fast he is!

The gate was open and he got downstairs again tonight. This time the storage room door was closed - he made a bee line for that, then headed for the cat's litter box and I startled him and told him to get upstairs and he did without making a mess.

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”