What do you look for in an In Home trainer?

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

What do you look for in an In Home trainer?

Postby Calypso » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:28 am

So I will almost certainly be starting my in home training this fall. For people who have had trainers come out to your house, what have you liked or not liked about things they did? Or if you know people who do in home training, what are some pit falls or other issues they've hit? I will not be addressing aggression or other serious issues that a behaviorist would be better suited to address. But I will cover basic house training, leash walking, helping the dog to calm down in the house/draining energy, recalls - general things like that.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: What do you look for in an In Home trainer?

Postby connie » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:51 pm

The only suggestion I have is, demonstrate a lot, don't just talk. :grin: A friend of mine did some house-call training visits that I witnessed, and she made too much of the visit a lecture. I know she didn't mean to, but I saw the dog owner get a glazed look after a while and that's never good!
I think if she had used the dog as a prop for her talk it would have been more successful.

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”