Henry slept on the sofa last night

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Henry slept on the sofa last night

Postby SherriA » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:13 am

Since the day I brought him home, Henry has slept on my bed. He seems quite happy to do so, and generally wants to cuddle up right against me, as close as possible. Last night, he came into the bedroom, then turned around and went back out to the den and curled up on the sofa. I came out to check on him, he followed me as far as the kitchen then turned around and went back to the sofa to sleep.

It was weird, and worrisome just because he's never done it before. If he doesn't want to sleep on the bed, that's fine, and I'll probably get a better nights sleep but last night I just tossed and turned and worried. At 6:30 I woke up and came out to check on him. He was just waking up, so I let him out to pee, then curled up on the sofa with him. He seemed fine with me there. At 8:00 I made his breakfast, and while I was puttering around waiting for it to rehydrate, he went and jumped up on my bed and snuggled in there until it was ready.

The only thing that I can think of that was different last night is he didn't get a treat before bed. I still give him a treat when he comes in from going potty in the yard, and I generally let him out last thing before bed, so maybe he associated that treat with going to bed? Since he didn't want to go out last night he didn't get a treat. This has only happened once or twice before, so maybe that confused him?

It's no big deal if it becomes normal, but it was just really weird not to be conscious of waking him up when I rolled over during the night. I'm worrying about nothing, right? Is this just him settling in (it's been 15 weeks since I brought him home) and making a different choice?

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Henry slept on the sofa last night

Postby Jen » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:42 am

I bet it's settling in. Bella has periods of couch sleeping (even though she's not allowed ;) ), crate sleeping, bed in our room sleeping, and pressed up against my side of the bed sleeping. Maybe 2-3 week rotations?

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:48 am

Since you say he didn't seem to be feeling ill, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Because he did follow you to the bedroom and returned to the sofa, it does sound like some part of the routine was altered from Henry's perspective. He could also be making a different choice now that he feels more settled in your home and with your routine. Was there anything from the night before that might have created some negative association with the bed or bedroom?

After all these years of the dogs sleeping with me or at least sleeping in the same room, they will sometimes decide to stay put on a cushion in the living room. It is probably a slight difference in my routine or timing because if they're comfy, warm, and already sleeping, they'll sometimes stay where they are not follow me to bed. They always have the choice.

At least Henry wasn't running up and down a hallway or into the kitchen at 3 am and barking for his treat. Don't let him make any long distance phone calls to Delaware, or you'll really have trouble then! :tongue:

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 am

Sam - the velcro of all velcros) has started sleeping in the family room on the couch or on a dog bed in the last while. I wondered about it for a while, but I'm glad he's choosing the spot he's most comfy and secure enough not to have to keep me in view to sleep.
I don't even have a big dog's bed in my bedroom anymore come to think of it. Rosie sleeps on the floor of our room (rarely uses a bed) but would probably be happier on the cork in another room because she gets hot.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:37 am

The Rabbit does it once in a while. When it was just us, it was fairly common for her to take herself off into another room for a nap - now that there are always other dogs around she's a bit more attentive to my whereabouts lest I lose my mind and let a dog touch her stuff or eat her treats.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks, you guys are making me feel better!

Our routine has been non-existant for the past couple of weeks. I've worked four of the last fourteen days. We've had all of the holiday chaos on top of irregular bed and wake up times. I hadn't thought about that. Back to the normal routines tomorrow, so I'll see if that has anything to do with it.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:37 pm

I've had dogs do that -- Dee and Beau both slept on my bed for the first month they were here. Now Beau sleeps on the couch, and Dee sleeps on a dog cot in the dining room. I think it's because they feel more comfortable and settled-in here.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Awww, I bet he was just totally trying to just trying something new and being independent! :love: MP has left the sofa (with me on it) and went to bed alone; it's kinda rude because we had agreed that it was going to be sleepover party night (sometimes it's fun to sleep some place else!). I hear you about the amazingly comfortable sleep one can get alone in bed, though!!!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:57 pm

I'll be it was just settling in, too - Mitzi slept on my bed for the first two or three months after she came to me, even though she had never been allowed to sleep on her previous mama's bed. Then one day she hopped down and slept in one of the dog beds on the floor. After a couple of months of that, she decided to sleep in her bed in the mudroom, where she stays when I go out.
Of course, maybe Henry was just thinking he might have a better chance of raiding the fridge if he wasn't sleeping on your bed.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Aww, I know how unsettling that must have been. I'm with the others though, I think he's just trying out a different spot. Brinca used to 'tuck me in' - she'd stay on my bed til I turned out the light then she'd hop down and go sleep on the sofa. She needed to be front & center to protect me. & the house, don't you know. LOL.
Actually, I think Jean is onto something with sofa having better proximity to the fridge.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:29 pm

Max has a cue "time for sleeping", and he snuggles at the end of the bed. Sometimes he ends up on his bed on the floor, sometimes he stays in bed and sometimes he's on the couch. As long as nothing weird medically happened I wouldn't worry.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:56 am

Well he jumped up on my bed and slept there last night. Not sure what was different. I'm not going to worry and just let him sleep wherever he wants to. I've never had a dog who slept in a variety of locations before! I just hope he comes and wakes me up in the morning if he wants to go out.

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:58 am

Georgie has done the same thing for the first year, she went faithfully to her crate every single night but just recently, if Jim is not Home, she sleeps next to me on Jim's pillow and Carnegie sleeps on/by my thigh
If Jim is home, she stays in her crate

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”