Injured and Competing?

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Injured and Competing?

Postby Calypso » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:03 pm

So if I go on the assumption that Havana's injury will continue as it has, not getting worse or better (although I'll take better!), should I enter her in the Rally competition I was looking at? It's local, it's only one day, and it's Novice so there is no jumping and all on leash. But, while her injury isn't obvious, it is noticeable. Obviously if I thought she was experiencing discomfort from doing it, I would, but I don't think she does based on the practicing we've done. She is sometimes a bit more stiff for a couple of hours afterwards, but she is fine by bedtime or morning and she doesn't stop doing anything when she is stiffer.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Re: Injured and Competing?

Postby Sabine » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:34 pm

I wouldn't enter her - if the judge notices unsound movement, you are going to get excused anyway. :(

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:57 pm

What Sabine said.

My Sheltie Briar Rose had a toe removed and continued to do agility (she trotted through the course, so the loss of a toe slowed her not at all), but we got dismissed from a trial in the midst of a run when the judge saw Briar's uneven gait.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:25 am

Crap. I kind of figured, but thought I'd ask. Argh!!!!!!!!!! She's literally been ready to compete for YEARS and I've dawdled or gotten busy or whatever. I hope it's not too late. :(

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:31 am

I just hope you find and answer to what's making her unsound.
I feel your pain though. R and S have ONE leg left for Rally level 3 (in what used to be APDT rally) but at 11 and 12 --or whatever they are, and as crazy as life has been, it's just not gonna happen.

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”