Nail trimming

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
Bettyna
Quite involved

Nail trimming

Postby Bettyna » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:06 pm

I've been having problems trimming Kobe's nails recently.

He's never been this bad before we moved to London. Treats don't even work now. A couple of months ago, I forcibly trimmed his nails... He now doesn't really trust me, to the extent that he sometimes won't come out of his crate when I call him.

I've been doing some simple counter conditioning, but it's not going as quickly as I would like.

His nails are getting long... I really want to trim them. Should I just put a muzzle on him, get DH to hold him while I go for it? I don't know what I did to get him so against nail trimming...

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Nail trimming

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:49 pm

I might take him in and get someone else to do it, either at a groomer or with a vet tech before they get too out of hand so you have more time to work on counter-conditioning.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:45 am

Yeah I'd have someone who is really good at do it for you since they need to be done. FWIW, Gringo barely even seems to notice when L does his nails and let me tell you, he is beyond irrational when I just LOOK at his paws. I'm not kidding. None of my efforts to 'fix' this have worked. :(

You've got a LOT of nail trimming with Kobe in your future, I'd seek assistance for the actual task while you continue to work on the CC.

I know some here may not agree but I'd dose him with some Benadryl after a long play or training session so he'll be calmer for the trim.

Good luck.

PS i would at least be present for the nail trim, maybe or maybe not try to help. Shoving food into gringos mouth is helpful though he doesn't require that anymore. I'd just want to be sure he doesn't have a terrible experience that makes trims worse.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:25 pm

I vote for having a groomer or tech do it too and not force the issue of doing it yourself, especially since they are getting longish. You don't want to make him even more hesitant or afraid at this point. Keep on working on your CC too.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:53 am

This is kind of crazy, but while you're taking him to a professional for his nails and you're working counter conditioning, start painting his nails. There are some that are low odor, although I can't remember brands right now. That way you are manipulating his toes and can reward him, but are in no way hurting him. It helped a little bit with my Beamish.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:28 am

It might also be a good idea to sedate him to do the "required trim". (Not acepromazine alone! !!! If you use ace you really really need to use an anxiolytic as well. Ace alone will make it worse in the long run because it's a physical chemical restraint, not an anxiolytic, so he won't be able to coordinate his movement but will be just as upset... like night terrors) That way it's much less likely to impact your training. Also look up "cia nail trim" (canines in action) for a good YouTube video on training. Giving the dog agency can be more effective than cc alone.
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:28 am

Wait, i meant sleep paralysis. Not night terrors.
Emily

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Just checking in to say - I took Gringo to our vet today for a nail trim. L is out of town for 2 weeks & they were LONG!!

Anyway, I brought a bunch of chicken & cheese to feed him but --- they offered to try doing it w/o me but I could still see everything thru a window. Gringo was FINE!! No biggie at all. And his nails are the shortest they've ever been I think.

So, it may be ok to try it w/o you being there???

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:55 pm

with regard to not being in the room: keep in mind that sometimes the dog looks settled, but is actually MORE anxious, and just LESS confident. So they are just as upset, but they don't feel like it's safe to make a scene.
Emily

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:53 pm

with regard to not being in the room: keep in mind that sometimes the dog looks settled, but is actually MORE anxious, and just LESS confident. So they are just as upset, but they don't feel like it's safe to make a scene.
good point. i hadn't thought about that. i don't think Gringo was all that stressed, though. he was still trying to get vet tech dude to play with him even after i was holding his leash. Gringo will do just about anything to get men to pay attention to him. matter of fact, looking back, trainer friend E's DH used to do his nails w/o any problem at all. :tongue: :lol:

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”