Bully stick questions

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Bully stick questions

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:06 pm

We got Max his first bully stick when we got back into town a few weeks ago. At first he didn't know what to make of it and just walked around like "I got something cooool, neener, neener". Charlie would try to sniff the end and Max would turn and almost whack Charlie on the nose, it was kinda funny. At some point the stick must have softened and Max tasted it. From then on he was singularly focused. The doorbell rang, no response. We wandered all over the house and he didn't move from his bed to chew it, it was intense. He's also exhausted when I take it away from him, it is a nice way to burn a little energy.

So here are my questions.
1)Where is the best place to get these? Currently I paid $10 for a 12" stick that's 3/4-1" in diameter. I realize this is high but we were at the pet store so I just picked it up. I plan on ordering them from somewhere for cheaper if these are going to be a thing for him. Which ones should I get?

2) How long do you let your dog chew it? Do they finish them or do you spread it out? Max chews about 3" over 90 minutes.

3) When do you throw it away or do you? I've noticed Max takes it into his mouth longways when it's small enough, which makes me scared he's going to swallow it so I usually take it away. He won't let me hold it while he chews, he moves his head for a better angle a lot. He does trade up easily so I can take it from him at any length.

4) Anything else I should know? Max still has bones around the house from RMB sessions that he works on too. He's such a spaniel, life is always better with something in his mouth and he has plenty of things to fit that bill.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Bully stick questions

Postby SherriA » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:24 pm

I've been ordering from Bestbullysticks.com for years. Their prices are good, the bullies aren't irradiated, and the cows, while not all from the US (I think they use Argentinian beef but I don't remember for sure) are free range and grass fed, not feedlot animals. I buy in bulk and keep them in the freezer.

I would generally let Oliver chew for 30 - 45 minutes. He could work on a 6" stick for about 3 chew sessions, then I'd start to worry that it was too small. While they're supposed to be completely digestible, my friend's Swissie got a piece that impacted her and had to have 2 surgeries, so I'm wary.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:05 pm

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:14 am

I always let Freddy and Landis eat the whole thing. They never swallowed more than a couple inches worth and we never had trouble with them. They don't get sticky like rawhide so I don't worry too much.

Some costco's carry packages of them. Mine stopped a couple years ago but I hope they get then back in someday.

That thing I sent to MP is called the Kong Goodie ship by the way in case anybody wanted to get one. :)

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:54 am

I get my bully sticks at Costco for $30 for 12, I think. They used to be $25 but they've gone up. They're 12" and Roscoe and Bella eat them completely. Bella finishes hers anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on her mood. Roscoe takes forever these days, poor guy. I trade him for a cookie when he appears to be getting too tired. They eat them completely and I've never had a problem. :)

My main rule is bully sticks get eaten in crates or outside. They stink and they cause a mess. :p

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:02 am

One of the clerks at my local pet store clued me in to the fact that it is cheaper to buy the long ones and cut them into 6-7" lengths myself. He recommended a hack saw, but I got a quick and clean cut through them by using a tree branch lopper.

I'd only allow about 10-15 minutes of chewing and would usually give them while we ate our dinner. They'd get the sticks softened on the end and eat a little bit, but the sticks did last more than a week that way. I would throw them away when the stub got down to about 2.5 inches. The dogs were very focused and chewed on the bullies aggressively and would end up panting after even that short a session. I lost track one time and had a scary incident with Dixie when she ate a whole one and most likely had the final chunk stuck part way down. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19753&p=220565&hilit=bully#p220565

I stopped getting them with Chi and Dixie having kidney problems. I don't know if that was necessary, but it seemed like the added protein might have messed with the diet. Cinnabon wasn't ever as interested, so I didn't feel bad not giving them any more. Ben doesn't really care about them either.

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”