"I'm only gonna listen if I want to" phase

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
KatrinH

"I'm only gonna listen if I want to" phase

Postby KatrinH » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:21 pm

So, Ranger and I were at this great point when he listened pretty well most of the time, even with distractions around. Well, apparently Ranger decided that listening is no fun, so since this week we are ignoring me completely if not interested in listening. I have no idea what caused it or why we are suddenly back to this phase, but it is extremely frustrating :banghead:

I know that some of this will come and go and since he is still young that it is normal too, but uggghhh I can't help but feel frustrated and a little disappointed. Anyway, my question really is: Any suggestions, tips, tricks, ideas in how to work through this phase (again)?

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: "I'm only gonna listen if I want to" phase

Postby Calypso » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:32 am

Oh yay. One of my favorite phases. :P Take the attitude of "I've got all day to get you to do this, buddy" and then follow through. If you call him and he decides to wander off, stop calling and walk over to get him and put him on leash. Even if he decides to play hard to get, keep at it, calmly as possible (you can say whatever nasty stuff you want in your head). And then if he's going to act like a brainless puppy, he gets treated like one and he loses off leash privileges for awhile.

I'd also remind him that he needs to say "please" for the stuff he wants. He wants you to put his food dish down or to come up on the couch or get his leash on? Great. As soon as he sits or downs (whatever you've asked for), he can get it. If he can't "remember" how to do that, fine, but he doesn't get the thing he wants, either. I'd incorporate this into games you play like fetch or tug. You will be happy to take the next turn, as soon as he does what you ask. He doesn't do it, oh what a shame. You can't keep playing until he does.

Cousteau was notorious for "What? I didn't hear you. And now that I can, I don't care." And it was amazing how much better his hearing got and how much more he cared when his favorite things hinged on him complying with the things I asked him to do.

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:02 am

Thanks! I already do some of these things, but I have to work on my patience. Unfortunately I am a super busy person so if he decides to just stand on top of the hill when he does not want us to stop playing fetch and won't come I just get frustrated. In agility he is just all over the place and completely ignores me, which is frustrating and embarrasing to be honest. And his behavior on leash is like we are back to when I just had him for a couple months. UGH.

I know I need to chill and that me getting frustrated is not helping, but man, easier said than done haha.

But then, I do need to remind myself that we have come a long way. He is a very independent dog, and always has been. I mean when I got him I could have done a handstand and wiggled my toes or likewise be made out of bacon and he would not have even glanced at me when there were distractions around....

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Oh we also started play mouthing and trying to crap onto long sleeves, etc. which we didn't even do as a puppy. He is sucking his blanket again much more than he did for a while, any suggestions on any oral toys/etc that may be good for him?

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”