NDR - Cat Litter Box Issues

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

NDR - Cat Litter Box Issues

Postby Calypso » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:26 pm

Ugh. I've read everything I can about helping cats through litter box issues and I try to follow them, but it's not working out well. I'm a horrible cat owner, which wasn't obvious until I had an actual cat-acting cat, unlike my first two. And I know I was a major factor in starting the issue in the first place by not keeping the litter box clean enough, but I can barely keep up on toilets staying flushed in the house, let alone cleaned. But the cat peed in an open dresser drawer yesterday!

I'm going to take her back to the vet to see if it's another UTI, but the last 2 or 3 times we took her in, her urinalysis was fine. I'm also going to see if we can put her on some kind of anti-anxiety because she just can not deal with Pixel. I try to manage them, but it's not working (only 1 of the 5 people in this house can keep gates and doors closed). And I haven't been able to figure out a way to desensitize Pixel to Chai because as soon as she realizes he's there, she freaks out and it doesn't seem fair to stress her that way, even if in the long run it will help her.

I've watched her pee next to the litter box, even after it's been cleaned. She'll poop in it even if it's not as clean as she'd like, but she won't pee in it. I have pee pads next to the box (which is on thick plastic), but that didn't help when she peed in the drawer yesterday. We have litter boxes on every level of the house, although she primarily lives on the lower level since we started feeding her down there to completely avoid Pixel interrupting her meals. We have one more litter box than we have cats. We have an automatic litter box and she's never minded it, so I don't think she's scared of it and won't use it. I should plug in the Feliway diffuser again, although it didn't make a ton of difference before.

She sleeps with the girls and they love it and she's a good mouser. When she's not stressed by dogs and little boys, she's quite affectionate. This is just the wrong house for her, but with litter box issues the chances of someone else wanting her is slim to none. I don't want to rehome her, but peeing on clothing in drawers is more than I can take, even knowing these issues started with me.

Mostly venting, but if anyone has any miracles I can try, I'm open to ideas. I'm hoping that Prozac or something of the like will be a miracle drug for her.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: NDR - Cat Litter Box Issues

Postby connie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:34 pm

It's possible that in another home, she won't have litter-box issues, maybe? I had a cat once who had such a strong aversion to the dogs that I returned the cat to the rescue where I'd adopted it because the cat peed repeatedly and only in the dog beds. I have no doubt that once in a home with no dogs, that cat was very well-mannered. So maybe that's what's going on here, and Chai's antipathy to the dog(s) in the household is being expressed through litter-box issues?

I don't think re-homing is a bad thing. If it ends with the cat in a less stressful (to the cat) household, that's optimal for everyone. I also don't think you created the issues: some cats are wonderfully resilient and some are not, that's all.

I loved the cats I had but with a whole gang of herding dogs in my house, there's not a cat on the face of this earth who wants to live here now. Picture it: cat walks into room, six dogs leap to attention. :shocked: That can't end well. So I'm stuck setting mousetraps in the wintertime. :blah:

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:04 pm

This is why I don't have a cat anymore. Thankfully Trouble was really good about peeing in the box, but her life got a lot smaller once we had the dogs and kids. My house is no place for a cat anymore. don't suppose you have some kindly family member that could give her a nice dogless, quiet life?

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:55 am

I've desperately tried to find a family member who would take her, but I'm the freaky anomaly in my family - not only do I like to have pets in my home, but I like cats.

She's going in at 9am this morning. Let's see what we find out.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:48 am

While I'm a firm believer in lifetime commitment to animals, in this case I echo Connie's opinion that rehoming might be best for all concerned. A neighbour here had a cat that peed everywhere in the house until, in exasperation, they made it stay outside full time. Stephen the cat began visiting another neighbour and eventually that person asked Stephen's family if they would consider letting them take him. He has never peed in their house, in the nine months he's lived with them - not once. He sleeps on their beds, lives with two other cats without issue, shares the litter boxes, and is one happy cat in his new home.

I have been fortunate with my dogs and Allie, but I know she is stressed by Shiloh, my most recent addition, who loves to chase and bite at her. It is definitely a challenge to be constantly watching them. I can't imagine doing it if I also had young kids in the home.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:52 pm

Well, good news/bad news. Good news is that her urine looks awesome - no infection or crystals. Bad news is that there is no antibiotic that might make this problem significantly better.

The vet sent me home with fluoxitine to see if that will help. We'll see where we're at in a month. Hopefully in a better place, but I'm going to put out some feelers here and there. If there is an older person who wants a cat to curl up with them while they read and at night and they're willing to clean the litter box at least twice a day, and they have no other pets, then I'd be a fool to keep her in the chaos she is so stressed by.

Ironically, the bundle of nerves that is Mully Cat has mellowed with age and is less likely to react to the dogs. She hated Cousteau with a passion for some reason and now that he's gone she rarely notices the dogs at all.

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”