Not my fault!

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Not my fault!

Postby Jen » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:08 am

For the last few months, I've been feeling particularly scatterbrained because I keep leaving Scout's door open. This means Bella can access the litter box, which she has been doing with alarming regularity.

Well, it turns out, I am not as irresponsible as I thought! She has figured out how to undo the latch. And she waits until I'm in the family room where you can't hear what's going on in the master bathroom. :fie:

So I guess we'll be looking for a new dog proof set up.

(Side note: Bella's now conditioned to flee when she sees the brown bottle of hydrogen peroxide. But does that stop her? Nope :p )

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Not my fault!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:07 pm

:rofl: Clever Bella!
Have you considered one of those hole-in-the-top litter boxes? That's what I use for Allie - she doesn't mind it at all, and no dog who has ever stayed here has ever been able to reach the poop through the top hole. Of course, I wouldn't put it past Bella to figure out how to remove the whole top from the box - but at least it might slow her down.
Alternatively, a hook-and-eye latch at the top of the bathroom door?
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Ha! Maybe put the brown bottle next to the door? ;) You should see my kitchen. Every open-able thing has been fortified with two levels of baby latch thingees. I even had to put them on non-food drawers because she was pulling them out to use as a stepping stool to get on the counter. :S My favorite/most trustworthy setup is the belt-in kind, but it's not pretty by any means. :/

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:08 pm

Max does this too. We even installed 6" eye hooks at the top of the door so Charlie could get through. No poop eating but he's decided if Charlie can pee there, so can he in a pinch. It's wrecking havoc on my hardwood floors.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Bella is so smart is scares me sometimes!

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:29 pm

Haha! That's crazy. She is such a smarty pants. Nana, I'm not surprised about your kitchen. You do have a blog entirely devoted to her counter surfing. ;)

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”