A weird incident - what do you make of it?

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
Bettyna
Quite involved

A weird incident - what do you make of it?

Postby Bettyna » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:16 am

Yesterday, the husband left the side gate open by accident (sigh), and Kobe was out in the back yard, or so he thought.

He heard the doorbell, and went to open the door, and guess what he saw right in front of him.... there were 2 boxes on the porch, with the (dog food) delivery guy just walking back towards van to get a 3rd box, and Kobe was just standing there calmly watching the delivery guy go back and forth

Kobe didn't bark or growl or anything, the husband called him into the house and that was when he started barking at the delivery guy.

Why do you think when we are not around, Kobe seems to be fine, but once we are in the vicinity, Kobe starts to be reactive? Is it just context? Possessiveness? Any ideas?

P.S. I'm working on the husband and the side gate issue...seriously... he's trying to give me a heart attack everytime he calls me to tell me one of these stories.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: A weird incident - what do you make of it?

Postby connie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:19 am

Without knowing any more about it, I would guess that you are not the factor that stresses Kobe, but the leash is. If he's off-leash, he's far less likely to feel confronted, trapped, cornered. Is he generally on leash when he shows reactivity? Because that's a pretty common thing, if so.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:47 am

I know of a dog who will bark like crazy and show aggression toward people when their owners are home beside them, but silent as can be when someone rings the doorbell or even comes into the house when the owners are not there. In this case, it is clear the dog is protecting the owner, not the territory. Could this be the case with Kobe?
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:54 am

I had the same thought at Jean. While the leash can exacerbate the "fight or flight" fears because he can't flee, I wonder if it's a case of "My humans are now here, my job is to make sure they're safe. Time to go to work. Bark Bark Bark." I say this because Max is less reactive around other dogs when one of us isn't holding the leash. There's still some reaction but not nearly to the same level. I also know that he barely notices visitors to the house when we're not home but if the mailman comes on a day we're off he's on high alert. I don't know if this is technically "resource guarding" but it seems similar, albeit more generalized.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:59 am

MP's reactivity is also very much contingent on whether I'm nearby (or actively *with* her, as opposed to being in another area of the house). So much so that, back in the day when we were more actively working on her reactivity, we'd use me as reward: I'd be out of view while the trainer held the leash, and if she were chill upon seeing another dog (about 75% of the time), I'd come out and give her treats and praises. It was a PIA to set up (me hiding in bush, etc.) and not sure if it did much in the end, but the opposite (I disappear while she is left with the trainer if she goes bonkers) would also make her stop reacting for the most part. Of course, her reactivity also depends on how close the other dog is and all that, but it's always been the case that she is far worse when I'm around. Even Acorn has done do crazy-to-us stuff like pass another dog on the same sidewalk (as opposed to going to the other side of the street) without any issues. MP would totally let my house be burglarized if I weren't home, but it's OK because she'd likely eat any bad guys and keep us safe if we were home. It's hard to tell if she is truly resource guarding or just encouraged by my presence, but we addressed it in training as a resource guarding issue.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:00 am

Also consider confidence levels. Just because he was quiet didn't mean he was comfortable. Back up troops can give the confidence boost needed to give them an earful! I think this is the same for in home issues with it without the owners present. I think owner guarding is much rarer than is reported. (One if those things that I never take for granted from self reporting)
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:00 am

Also Maybe look at a strong spring on the gate so it automatically closes?
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:42 am

My post is going to make me sound like a bad dog owner... so many instances of Kobe doing something bad :(

Anyway, I thought more examples would make the situation clearer:

1. In response to Connie, it doesn't seem like leash reactivity. He has been in an off leash park before and was perfectly fine with small dogs, but tried to rush at and attack larger dogs who came in after. That's usually when we put the leash on and take him away, but it's not the leash that got him that way in the first place
2. We thought he might be being territorial, and that may be true to some extent. e.g. he will *bark bark bark* when guests come into the house, and generally get very stressed, but when we leave him with our friends when we go on vacation, he has no problem with their guests.
3. He feels threatened in *HIS* house when people come over. He's usually alright when they are sitting down. He doesn't like it when they get up and walk around.
4. We haven't tried leaving him alone with anyone, but when we go on vacation and our friends walk him, he has tried to lunge at passers by/joggers who come too close to him

Not discounting all the other responses, but Moemer's suggestion sounds like it might be correct. It might really just be a confidence thing (since we already do know that lack of confidence/ fear is a major issue for Kobe). We've noticed that when Natsu is around, he is much worse than if we take him out by himself! I can see him being territorial or possessive as well too...

Great suggestion on the spring loaded gate!!! going to bug the husband to put a spring on ASAP!

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”