toy suggestions

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
KatrinH

toy suggestions

Postby KatrinH » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has good suggestions on toys that can be filled with treats/food for entertainment. I use a Kong and fill it with different things (veggie mix from his meals, peanut butter, chicken broth, watermelon, yoghurt, etc) and Ranger gets it when I leave home for longer and/or if I am home and he needs something to do. Well, problem is, Ranger is able to empty it in 5 minutes or less, no matter what I put in it :jawdrop: I would love to have something that would keep him engaged a little longer....

He does not get kibble and no store-bought treats, so it would have to be something I can freeze and/or stuff in without getting it all over...
Last edited by KatrinH on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KatrinH

Re: toy suggestions

Postby KatrinH » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Btw, I wish it was something he actually needs to chew on too. Smart pup has figured out that picking up his Kong and throwing it around on the hard floor is much easier than trying to get the food out any other way :lol:

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:49 pm

Try buying the Genius Kongs and linking several of them together. I have the Leo and the Mike and when I put them together, it takes Rowley much longer to empty them.
http://www.kongcompany.com/products/for ... enius-leo/

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:30 pm

How do you fill those with anything liquid-like though? Without it leaking out everywhere before its frozen?

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:59 am

Ok ordered the Leo and a dental one since we are unable to give bones right now with Rangers tummy situation...

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:53 am

I don't use a lot of liquids, but I do use pastes. Sometimes a barrier that can be removed after freezing works. I use a plug of pb, then liquid then more pb and freeze the toy on its side. We have the round dental kongs and I fill them with applesauce.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 pm

Could you cook the organ/offal portion of his raw and basically make liver brownies to slice into small pieces and feed in a variety of food toys?

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:56 pm

That's a great idea with the PB plug, I will have to try that.

Right now what I do cook/bake ends up as actual treats for training. With agility and working on desensitization I am going through "treats" like crazy, some of his diet already serves as treats only, so I prefer being able to stuff his toys with something of his diet that I cannot use as hand-fed treats.

I think Ranger truly dislikes me right now haha with being on rice and lean meat only currently I can stuff ALL his meals in his Kong, so he has to work for all food haha, keeps him entertained though. Can't wait for those new Kongs to be able to make him work even more ;)

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Ok you got to be kidding.

Ordered the Leo from Amazon. The large says in its description it is for dogs up to 40lbs, well I got it and it is for dogs 60 to 90 lbs, way too big for Ranger. They do not sell a medium one :( At least I got a refund...

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”