Silly humans!

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Silly humans!

Postby Calypso » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:28 pm

I don't know if this problem is because Cousteau never listened even when he did have hearing, but my family has the hardest time using non-verbal communication with him! And then when he doesn't respond, because, you know, he's DEAF, they get mad at him!

I found it strangely liberating to stop giving him verbal cues because knew he couldn't hear me. And when I could get his attention he was very responsive. Now he's been deaf long enough that he will again tell me to sit and spin. Looks right at me and walks away. But I don't yell at him because it's pointless! I gesture angrily, but I don't yell. But I think I'm more annoyed with the people than the dog because Cousteau is acting the way he always did, my family just refuses to learn and adapt. :P

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Silly humans!

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:01 pm

At least he's consistent in his age! (and apparently your fam is too!)
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:38 pm

the virtual video playing in my head is vastly amusing.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:42 pm

ha ha, i know it must be so frustrating for you but it's a little funny from where i'm sitting.

i do understand, though. the guys at the morning park actually talk to Gringo as if he can really hear them. they don't 'talk' to him, they try to correct him when he's playing with a plastic bottle or doing something else they deem wrong but doesn't really bother me so i don't go out of my way to walk over to him and correct him every. single. time. sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's frustrating. how hard is it to remember he can't hear? i talk to him all the time but i don't try to 'tell' him anything by talking to him, ya know? :lol: :lol:

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:01 am

LOL he just can't help himself. And yeah, sorry, but it is kinda funny.

I'll admit... I had to go GET Zippy many times after he lost his hearing. I'd get in his line of vision, call him to me non-verbally.... and he'd look square at me, turn around, and run away. lol
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:50 pm

and have i told you guys about the deaf white Boxer that was in the rescue group when i was in cali?

omg he was darling - prob'ly a Boxer/OEB cross. and deaf.

and when his foster mom would sign to him, if he was being told 'don't chase the cat' or asked to sit, etc he'd either stay right where he was & just slam his eyes closed indefinitely or he'd turn and walk away. no kidding. it was hilarious! he drove his foster mom completely crazy, she thought he'd never get adopted. alas, he was adopted and according to his family he was a perfect angel. never even chased their cat. :lol:

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”