Miracles, handling, better training?

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Miracles, handling, better training?

Postby RobinS » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:20 am

I am not sure which one it was, but I am so very proud of KaeJae this morning. I took everyone to a groomer that refers clients to me for nail trims. Typically, I have to take the Monster to the vet after giving him some magic pills, then he has to get wrapped in a towel, muzzled and then after urinating, defecating and expressing his anal glands and after screaming the death scream, he comes back to me with nails trimmed. Today I did not give him a magic pill, as suggested by Laurie, the owner, to just see how they do with him. The one gal held him wrapped in a towel and with no muzzle, he didn't bite anyone, only one minor scream fest and within minutes, he came out with nails all dremmelled. They used the dremel on all of them which I think was the best idea.

So, was it a miracle, were the stars lined correctly, did these ladies have magical powers? Or, is KaeJae finally growing up and figuring it out that nail trims are not the worst thing that could happen to him?

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Miracles, handling, better training?

Postby SherriA » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:26 am

Whatever it was, it's a wonderful thing!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:38 am

The drama king was having an off day today? His dramatics were more subdued as he didn't have the right props and costumes?
Whatever the reason, I'm glad it went better for you and the groomers.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:21 am

yay for progress! Got a Dremel?

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:32 am

What great success! I guess sometimes it takes a while... Remember this post? rofl
http://www.ourdogsonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21017

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:17 am

Progress is wonderful!

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Sabine, I do remember about Quigley and perhaps he and KaeJae had words today and KaeJae decided not to "fight the fight". Now, he wasn't standing for them, he was being held, but not in a death grip and while he was annoyed, he wasn't totally freaked out and as soon as they were done, he inhaled some treats. I hope it goes this smoothly for next month's trim...going to schedule all three for a monthly. You are right, terriers have these massively long front nails, better to dig with I am sure, which match their massively big toofies!

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Well, Q was never as bad as Kae Jae, so I think what you saw today was an awesome improvement. :) Hopefully things will continue along this way.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:15 pm

hooray for not freaking out over a nail trim. :thumbup:

can you please ask KaeJae to alert Boy to the fact that it's really not worthy of a full on freak out? :lol:

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:59 pm

good news! Sometimes just getting them into a different environment can delay the triggers that set them off - and different hands and voices can make a lot of difference.

If he was vexed but not freaked, and wanted his treats after, perhaps consider how he'd respond if you broke up his trim into smaller sessions - maybe one front foot, Chin, both back feet, Chin, other front, with treats for the terrier during his breaks. May not be the way to go for him, but it's been helpful for me in the past on some dogs.

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”