Groovy's new class

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Groovy's new class

Postby Kathleen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 am

Finding a class that will work with my schedule is proving to be almost impossible. I finally got Groovy in the agility Teamwork class in Atascadero 6:30 Monday evenings. It is outside and really cold but hey we made it in a class. We have been having record low temperatures here so they found a place last night to hold it indoors. We were very happy about that.

First of all I was so tickled she was taking food. I cooked steak yesterday morning and she was willing to eat it even in the distracting environment. :thumbup:
The problem was it wasn't really high value enough to hold her interest. She was sniffing and slow to respond. About 45 minutes in I remembered the toy. Different dog. She was all focus and was even willing to give me a quick down on the cold concrete. :)

While I wouldn't say she was the star of the class. I was really happy with how well she did.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Groovy's new class

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:13 am

what's team work agility? sounds fun!

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:39 am

First of all I was so tickled she was taking food. I cooked steak yesterday morning and she was willing to eat it even in the distracting environment. :thumbup:
The problem was it wasn't really high value enough to hold her interest.
Not high value enough?? lol That's a sighthound for you! Mine would do backflips for steak! :tongue:
UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GCHx2 "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN
"Spock"

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:49 am

KaeJae would do anything for a Cheerio. Glad she has a class and I can't wait for you to have her fully trained for when she moves in with Auntie Robin! hee hee!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Yay for Groovy! This sounds like fun!

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:25 am

sounds like you guys had fun.

and yeah, 'steak not enough to hold interest' is hilarious to me, too. Boy wouldn't be able to think about anything BUT steak if i had that in my pocket. he acts like milk bones ARE steak. :lol:

i think my list of 'dogs i'm not smart enough to have at *my* house is complete now. Terriers, Border Collies, Aussies, Sight Hounds.

so what's Team Agility?

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:33 am

Oh bummer I just posted something and lost it.
Teamwork is an intermediate obedience class geared toward agility. I'm on the fence about doing agility with Groovy but the class will be good for her.

Crysania
Just popping in

Postby Crysania » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:29 am

Not high value enough?? lol That's a sighthound for you! Mine would do backflips for steak!
I was thinking that as well. Steak? It might be TOO distracting for my girl to do much else other than stare at me and drool! Toys are totally not interesting enough as a reward.

It sounds like a fun class and I'm glad you figured out what rewards got her in to work!

To be honest, give it some time. I was totally unsure of starting agility with Dahlia. She wasn't a confident dog, she was slow and mellow and her best "trick" was sleeping. I loved the thought of agility though and I thought she might enjoy doing a little bit of it as she liked to work with me. It turned out that she loved it and 2 1/2 years later we're still taking classes!

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:36 am

I can identify. During agility classes June would take steak and sort of ho-hum. But if I pulled out a toy or a ball I would have to pull her off the ceiling. In fact, one time our instructor threw the ball and it took me 25 minutes to get June's brain back. Yeah, steak is good.
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:29 am

It seems totally foreign to me NOT to do agility with my dogs. lol We had a private with my usual agility instructor Thursday and seeing Groovy doing the jump grids was priceless. We had to do 8 foot spacing to get one bounce. Her stride is insane. Rachel, my instructor, was saying hey she is fast, athletic and toy crazy why wouldn't you do agility? She hasn't been around for the 8 Months it took me to get her to recognize the difference between sit and down. My other concern is the zoomies. She is a Sight hound and does tend to run when you put pressure on her or she is stressed. I don't mean run away necessarily just run in a big circle. Not a good thing in Agility.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:28 am

I can't wait to see her run!

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:54 am

Well the second class was great. We met outside this time and Groovy was all about the treats. She played a few times too, but stayed focused on me around the other dogs and just did very well. That said she refused to down on the cold dirt. We were working on her mat in the beginning which was great but then I took it away and we started working normal sits and downs. She went over to the chair where the mat was and tried to take it off to down on. :lol: I have been able to get her to down on different surfaces and she will do it, but it is not her favorite thing. I remember reading in some old Sight Hound book that you shouldn't ask a Sight Hound to down on hard cold surfaces because of their constitution. I don't know about that, but Groovy certainly was having none of it last night.
The instructor of this class is a colleague and I guess a competitor. After Groovy needed a mat to down she made a point of telling the class how her dogs are trained to down on any surface and if you are serious about competing you shouldn't let your dog get away with that stuff. :rolleyes: For the record my dogs have titled way way beyond anything her dogs have done. :whistle:

I keep reminding myself that I wanted a challenge.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:06 am

Silly girl! I love that she went to get her mat so she wouldn't have to lay down on the cold ground. :lol:

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 pm

lol The Princess and the Pea

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Silly girl! I love that she went to get her mat so she wouldn't have to lay down on the cold ground. :lol:
me, too. i think that's hilarious!

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:35 pm

The instructor of this class is a colleague and I guess a competitor. After Groovy needed a mat to down she made a point of telling the class how her dogs are trained to down on any surface and if you are serious about competing you shouldn't let your dog get away with that stuff. :rolleyes: For the record my dogs have titled way way beyond anything her dogs have done. :whistle:
It really irks me when people do/say things like that. You and Groovy are da bomb, and she haz great smartz. It probably never would occur to your instructor's dogs to consider working through the issue far enough to realize that they'd prefer to down on their mat, and to find a way to communicate that with you. Bah. You and Groovy rock, and she can kiss my toe. Good on you for managing to hang on to it.
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”