Ike at dog school

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Ike at dog school

Postby connie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:50 am

This is being a lot of fun -- I am taking Ike to a "Family Dog" class once a week and I'm using clicker training to teach him things and to discover what he knows. He's a hoot! He gets SO excited, and he offers some pretty cool behaviors. Last night he tried to get the treat by sitting up on his butt and swatting the air in front of him with his paws, so I turned that into a "Hit me!" routine. Now I can tell him to sit, have him watch me, and then say "hit me!" and he rears back and puts up both front paws, then I toss a treat, which he catches in his mouth.

I also found that he DOES know "down" -- apparently he just didn't like to do it. But when I got him home and tried it with his dinner bowl, he was way too stimulated and we didn't get that one. With treats, though, he will down when I go through the steps with him.

We're also working on "leave it", which is the drill where you first toss a treat, cover it with your foot before the dog can get it, click when he takes his attention away from the treat/foot, and eventually shape that so the dog looks away from the object and at you when you say 'leave it.' Ike caught on very quickly to the eye-contact drill, where he gets the treat from the outstretched hand by not looking at the hand, but looking at me and making eye contact.

He gets so excited doing this, and he's so tired after class, it's really cute. LOL

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Ike at dog school

Postby SherriA » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:52 am

He sounds like so much fun! I love when they offer funny behaviours to try and get a treat. It always cracks me up when Oliver does it (Jack has never done this). Anything for a treat!

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:13 pm

He sounds like a hoot. I'm so glad you are having fun with a non-sheltie.

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:16 pm

lol Ike sounds like a lot of fun (and a bit of a handful!)

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:50 pm

He sounds like a great dog :love:

My dogs were compeletely stumped by asking for a down in the presence of their food bowl. They had initially been taught a default sit that they must hold until they are released to their food. So they thought it was some sort of trick/proofing and the bubble over their heads said "oh ho ho ho no no no. I know I'm supposed to hold a sit. you can't fool me!"

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:16 pm

[quote=sammy]He sounds like a great dog :love:

My dogs were compeletely stumped by asking for a down in the presence of their food bowl. They had initially been taught a default sit that they must hold until they are released to their food. So they thought it was some sort of trick/proofing and the bubble over their heads said "oh ho ho ho no no no. I know I'm supposed to hold a sit. you can't fool me!" [/quote]

Well, it's easy to lure Ike into a down with a treat, which is still the stage we're at -- a treat can be concealed in my fist. Not so much a food bowl filled with sloppy stuff! So I think we have to get the down independent of food before I request it at mealtimes. LOL

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:41 pm

It took me about 6 months to get KaeJae to do a down and to stay in it...my trainer chalked it up to his personality, he's so dominate and a wound up little JRT. But, we do down and stay before he eats his dinner and he has learned now that he has to leave it on his dinner....he goes in his down stay until I say "take it"...actually goes to his bowl and puts himself in a down stay now! Leave it and take it were the absolutely best things I taught him - it has taught him self control...because now when he see things he knows are not his, he will hesitate, like he knows that I am going to say "leave it" (self control)- we learned how to do leave it and take it first with the treat in the hand, then under the foot....he learned it fast too. Clicker training....it's so amazing how you can shape behavior with it...does not require any dominance tactics, no alpha rolls, no pinching of the neck and no shock collars...amazing!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:48 pm

Yeah, Ike doesn't like to down, and it may have been used as a punishment for him in the past, I don't know. He also shows great discomfort at hands near his head or collar, so this is not a dog who will allow someone to just grab him to attach his leash, etc. I put him in a sit and tell him to wait when I'm clipping his leash on. It's hard to tell what's just his temperament and what is indicative of crummy owner behavior he experienced in the past ... Not every dog who is hand-shy was abused, I know that.

He knows to sit when I have his food bowl; he gets fed in the bathroom with the door closed, and he knows the feeding order, too. (Rudy gets fed first.) Now we are working on a 5-second "wait" while he's in that sit, before he gets the food.

And I just did a quick half-dozen "hit me!" routines with him and he's got it. I hold up my hand, say "hit me!" and he slaps it with both his front paws while he's sitting up. For some reason, it cracks me up every time -- and it gets him a salmon treat every time. ROFL

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”