Bringing 2 puppies into my home at the same time...

Discuss training topics and dog related activities, such as conformation, obedience, dog sports etc.
julsburd
Settling in

Bringing 2 puppies into my home at the same time...

Postby julsburd » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:12 am

In April I will be getting 2 new puppies. One will be mine and one will be for my son who lives in the city. He wants me to keep his pup for the first 5 months to get him housebroken and give him his initial manners. I have successfully trained and enjoyed 6 dogs in my "career" and I consider myself a pretty good mom for my dogs but I have never attempted 2 at a time. I also have a 3 year old labradoodle that I love to death. She is a concern during this time as well. Some initial questions I have are: Would you keep the pups in the same crate for awhile or would you give them their own? What pitfalls should I be aware of in their double training? Any experience would be appreciated!

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Bringing 2 puppies into my home at the same time...

Postby Trademarkbark » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:56 am

Separate the pups but have them where they can interact (crate in the same room). You can run into issues raising littermates together; one can inadvertently 'hold back' the other's emotional development. You need to train them apart (you can do some work together, but they need individual time working with you). So often, it's easier to work the two together, or back to back, but you run into issues that they don't develop their own "identity".

I recently placed one of my pups with my brother because I had her, her sister AND her mother in the same household. There were no aggression issues, but mom and the sister were very high energy, assertive dogs and they caused puppy #1 to not learn to assert herself, resulting in a softer personality than she should have had. Within 2 months of leaving here and her getting her "independence", she became more confident and had a much more stable temperament. This has happened to us in the past as well, so it's not like she was a unique incident.

Good luck to you!! :)
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

julsburd
Settling in

Postby julsburd » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:18 am

Thanks Katie. The pups will not exactly be littermates, one will be a goldendoodle and the other is a labradoodle but they will be 2 weeks apart in age...I have 2 crates so I will use them for each pup. I also plan to set aside their food for each day and use it to train them throughout the day rather than feed them in bowls. Whatever doesn't get fed for training will be mixed into a mush and used in puppy kongs and puzzle balls for entertainment. Since my son's pup will be a "working persons" dog I will be working him up to longer stays in his crate since he will be left alone for 4-5 hours each day when he joins my son. This will allow me to find time to train my pup and to give my older dog quality time. I guess I just have to set my mind on the fact that it will be dogs, dogs and more dogs for awhile! lol I have to do a lot of landscaping and gardening this spring so I can have them all outside with me in the yard for part of the day which will be their playtime together hopefully. Any bowl feeding will be done in their crates so they don't interfere with each other or my other dog's feeding time. I would also like to try training to ring a bell to go outside so that will be something to work on as well. Wish me luck!!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:42 am

Wow, good luck! Sounds like you're going to have your hands full for awhile. Your son is sure lucky to have you to do that early work for him. Its the toughest part, for me. I'm just such a softie when it comes to puppies that they pretty much wrap me around their little paws and run right over me. :lol: (And that's why I adopt adult dogs now!)

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:05 am

If your son isn't willing to put the work into raising a puppy, why doesn't he adopt an older dog from the thousands and thousands of nice dogs being killed in the shelters in your area?
I hope you have both done real research into "designer dogs" - mutts with hefty price tags.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:45 am

There is so much more to having a puppy than crate training them. Having a puppy/dog enrolled in some kind of obedience class always benefits both owners and dogs. Like baking a cake - it can't rise without enough yeast (does that make sense)? If he isn't willing to do this - he should definitely get an adult dog but he should still check out classes.

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:16 pm

To reiterate a good point - your son should really have some "hands on" in the training of his puppy, especially obedience and manners. You said you're raising it for him, but how involved will he be with the pup during these 5 months?
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Tatyana
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Tatyana » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Even if the dog is housetrained in your house, your son will need to reinstate the house rules once the pup goes to his house. And if the dog will be 6/7/8 months old when it joins his household, there will be *a lot* more learning it needs to do for the following year and a half at least. Not that its ever a finite process, but many dogs seem to mentally mature at 2 to 3 years old. I guess I agree with the others, if he wants the dog trained, he should go for a mature adult dog.

julsburd
Settling in

Postby julsburd » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:16 pm

Wow, you guys are pretty quick to judge... My son is 25, has been waiting since he was 18 to have his own dog and wants to begin new, with a puppy. He has already visited a dog obedience trainer in downtown Chicago, he's reading lots of training articles and he and I talk all the time about his puppy's training. He plans to see the dog at least every 2 weeks until he brings him home. He and I both realize that a working person cannot housetrain and train puppy manners if they are gone all day so that is why he asked me to do the initial training and he will take over when the dog is 4 months old.

I resent the term "designer dog" because my labradoodle came from a good friend where I boarded my horse. I did not search out for a "designer dog" but I stumbled on one and she has proven to be the best dog I have ever owned. She achieved her CGC and Therapy dog certifications at 1 1/2 years old and she continues to amaze me with her smarts and great companionship.

Sometimes, rescuing a dog is just not for everybody and it bugs me that some dog forums judge someone based on that. Just a friendly reminder that some people like to know where their life long companion is coming from, they don't want to train out issues, they'd rather build their own dog through known training from the start. Please don't be so quick to condemn those of us who want to have a dog this way. I am aware that there are a lot of unwanted dogs but there is also a goldendoodle and labradoodle from a planned litter that I want to give a home to. (By the way, because these "designer dogs are such great animals, my friend has never had a problem finding them homes.)

Sorry to go on but your advice was not appreciated and I just wanted you to think about this issue before you jump on someone else who is new to your dog forum.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:41 pm

[quote=julsburd]Wow, you guys are pretty quick to judge... My son is 25, has been waiting since he was 18 to have his own dog and wants to begin new, with a puppy. He has already visited a dog obedience trainer in downtown Chicago, he's reading lots of training articles and he and I talk all the time about his puppy's training. He plans to see the dog at least every 2 weeks until he brings him home. He and I both realize that a working person cannot housetrain and train puppy manners if they are gone all day so that is why he asked me to do the initial training and he will take over when the dog is 4 months old.

I resent the term "designer dog" because my labradoodle came from a good friend where I boarded my horse. I did not search out for a "designer dog" but I stumbled on one and she has proven to be the best dog I have ever owned. She achieved her CGC and Therapy dog certifications at 1 1/2 years old and she continues to amaze me with her smarts and great companionship.

Sometimes, rescuing a dog is just not for everybody and it bugs me that some dog forums judge someone based on that. Just a friendly reminder that some people like to know where their life long companion is coming from, they don't want to train out issues, they'd rather build their own dog through known training from the start. Please don't be so quick to condemn those of us who want to have a dog this way. I am aware that there are a lot of unwanted dogs but there is also a goldendoodle and labradoodle from a planned litter that I want to give a home to. (By the way, because these "designer dogs are such great animals, my friend has never had a problem finding them homes.)

Sorry to go on but your advice was not appreciated and I just wanted you to think about this issue before you jump on someone else who is new to your dog forum. [/quote]

I don't think anyone jumped on you. Opinions are like bum holes, we've all got 'em. People here are pretty helpful and diplomatic. There's no "flaming" like you would be subjected to if you posted about aquiring a doodle on most dog forums. I see this as simply people politely raising some issues which you can consider or disregard.

I have no problem with people buying a puppy from a breeder rather than a rescue mutt. We have a few memebers who are fabulous breeders. IMO it's not simply a choice between a dog from a breeder vs rescue. Many people see the ethics of breeding doodles as pretty darned sketchy. I've yet to come across a doodle breeder who was doing all the things I believe an ethical breeder should do.

Backyard breeders account for a far bigger chunk of the pet overpopulation problem than puppymills do. People concerned with the welfare of dogs on the whole and who see first hand the suffering that results from the pet over population often have pretty strong feeling about this.
Last edited by sammy on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: typo

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:42 pm

We did not mean to appear judgemental, perhaps it is how you framed your question.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:39 pm

Welcome to the forum. I don't think you got flamed, but like Sammy said, everyone here has an opinion.

It sounds like you and your son have done quite a bit of thinking and planning for this. I agree with Katie on the advice about training and the separate crates. You don't want them bonded to each other. You want to treat them as the separate individual dogs they are to become.

The only thing that struck me about your post was about the feeding. I'm not sure that all of the pup's food should come from training treats and the entertainment aspect. If your son will be feeding out of a bowl at some point, then the pup needs to be exposed to that as well. I suspect that some meal at some point will be fed from a bowl due to his work schedule. I just wouldn't want you to inadvertantly create an "issue" for the dog where he/she won't eat from a bowl, or thinks that all food is a game.

What I'm trying to say is that you need to tailor the pups training and expose it to the things as it will live its life with your son. I know that you've thought about this, because you stated about getting it used to the longer crate time.

I'm sure everyone is excited over the new arrivals. I find it a little sad that your son won't have more time to be with the pup earlier on. His pup will be bonded with you and be a part of your household. Then it will be uprooted again to start over to bond with him. It just seems that what he will be doing is adopting a 5-6 month old, partially grown pup from you, even if he is the legal owner from the outset. In that regard, I agree with Tatyana that your son will have to revisit all the housetraining rules and other training that you may have started. It's a simple fact that any pup that age would need reinforcement of the rules simply because of the change of person, location and daily routine.

Good luck with the pups.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:01 am

[quote=julsburd] He and I both realize that a working person cannot housetrain and train puppy manners if they are gone all day [/quote]

Er -- yes, they can. I've done it many times. I've been working full-time since I was 18, which is a loooong time, believe me; and I've raised four dogs from puppies and have adopted several more rescues.

It absolutely is possible to housebreak and train a puppy even if the owner works away from home and is gone for a significant period of the day. Why did you and your son conclude that it can't be done? I'm just curious.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:46 pm

[quote=connie][quote=julsburd] He and I both realize that a working person cannot housetrain and train puppy manners if they are gone all day [/quote]

Er -- yes, they can. I've done it many times. I've been working full-time since I was 18, which is a loooong time, believe me; and I've raised four dogs from puppies and have adopted several more rescues.

It absolutely is possible to housebreak and train a puppy even if the owner works away from home and is gone for a significant period of the day. Why did you and your son conclude that it can't be done? I'm just curious. [/quote]

It certainly can be done, but I think it's certainly nicer for the pup not to home alone for 8+ hrs per day at a young age. If it was me I'd be interested in having Mom do more of a daytime babysitting type arrangement and still have the pup in the evenings and on w/e's.That way he would get to bond with his pppy, take part in the training etc but that might not be feasible.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:20 pm

[quote=sammy]

It certainly can be done, but I think it's certainly nicer for the pup not to home alone for 8+ hrs per day at a young age. If it was me I'd be interested in having Mom do more of a daytime babysitting type arrangement and still have the pup in the evenings and on w/e's.That way he would get to bond with his pppy, take part in the training etc but that might not be feasible. [/quote]

I agree. And I never left puppies alone for 8+ hours -- at first I had my mom (who lives near me) as a resource, and later, when she got older and didn't have a dog of her own, I was able to hire a neighbor/friend as a pet-sitter.

There are quite a few ways to manage it, and I'm not telling the OP what she should or shouldn't do; I just don't agree that it's not possible to train a puppy when the owner has to work away from home. :p It may not be what she chooses to do, but it IS possible.

julsburd
Settling in

Postby julsburd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:26 pm

We don't live in the same city or state for that matter. I don't want to have the pup alone in a crate for that long of a day. I realize people do it but I think puppies need humans around to get them out to potty, to teach them house manners and most of all to relieve all of the energy that a puppy has. I can't imagine coming home after 8-10 hours to a puppy that has been crated all day. You'd have to stay up until midnight to give it some quality time before it is time to go back in the crate for bedtime... I think the arrangement we have is the best compromise based on the fact that he is a single guy, lives alone in downtown Chicago and desperately has wanted a dog of his own for years. The puppy may bond with me initially but trust me he will love living with my son. He is full of energy, loves to play silly dog games, and has me to help him through any training problems that may arise.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:40 am

[quote=julsburd] I can't imagine coming home after 8-10 hours to a puppy that has been crated all day. [/quote]

As a Chicago resident, I know that your son lives in an area rich in resources for pet owners, and that leaving the puppy alone all day would not be necessary. The point I was trying to make is that 8+ hours of crating a puppy is NOT the only option, even for someone who works all day. Sorry, I guess I didn't express it very well.

At any rate -- good luck and have fun with your pups!

julsburd
Settling in

Postby julsburd » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:06 am

Thanks Connie! r u downtown Chicago? If so, any recommendations on obedience schools would be great. I have now decided to come and stay with Ryan for the first 2 weeks so he can bond and help with the pup. Then I will have to take it home with me when I get my new puppy. He just found out he will be moving to a new 2nd floor apartment flat that believe it or not has a walled in back yard area where housebreaking should be pretty successful. He doesn't mind having his old mom there for awhile so I can help while he is at work and oh... by the way he has some old windows that he knows I can "re rope" for him. He's not as spoiled as it may sound, he's a great guy and we share a huge love of "fur". He looks forward to long walks along the north shore parks and beaches and he claims folks take their dogs everywhere with them in Chicago because it is becoming very dog friendly. I emphasized that it will be even more important that he get good obedience training so the dog is socially acceptable. It always seems so easy when a non dog owner sees dogs sitting quietly beside an outdoor restaurant table but that doesn't happen naturally... as we all know. The more manners you can instill in a pup the more they can share your life with you.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:28 am

I am on the far south side of Chicago, but I will be happy to ask my trainer for suggestions for your son to resources and trainers in his area, if you like? My obedience trainer is a member of APDTA, which would be a good place for you/your son to start, here is their website: http://www.apdt.com/

Every APDTA trainer uses humane, non-confrontational training methods, so you can be sure you won't end up at one of those training centers that preaches "dominance" and other nonsense. (I once had a trainer tell me, when one of my Shelties was reluctant to sit on command, that I "shouldn't let that dog get away with that"! Gah! That same center liked to take big dogs -- Dobes, Rotts, and "establish who's boss" by yanking them around. I hope they're not still in business ... but that's a whole other rant.)

I will ask a couple of people for downtown resources, including dog day-care centers, and post back for you if you would like. (Many dogs love day-care, and it needn't be an everyday thing, even going 2 days a week makes a nice stimulus for a puppy. Something to think about!)

Chicago is very dog-friendly, for the most part. :)

julsburd
Settling in

Postby julsburd » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:15 am

Thanks. I have spoken to Ryan about daycare because my dog for one freaks out at them. I gave him a checklist I found online of questions etc. to ask when checking them out. The fact of the matter is, I think if his puppy is ok with it, it makes sense for the first year to have him there for 1/2 days instead of being alone in his crate. He will spend 5 months with me, Luah and my new puppy so he will unfortunately be used to having other dogs around. Ryan has found one he thinks he likes out in Lisle which is by his office so the dog can ride to work with him and then go there. If you have any references for classes up on the north side please forward them. He is currently in the process of finding one so he can go check it out and ask some questions regarding training for "downtown dogs" which is an area I have no experience with....

julsburd
Settling in

Postby julsburd » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:05 am

Thought I'd update... I have decided to wait to get another dog for me. I am going to work with 1 pup at a time for a lot of reasons. I am also planning on staying with my son in his apartment downtown for the first week or so so he can enjoy the young guy. This arrangement will give me a chance to see how my dog relates to a new pup in the house and I will be able to devote quality time to both Luah and the new puppy.

Tracy
Quite involved

Postby Tracy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:57 am

That sounds like a good plan! Or at least a much easier plan anyway, which is the same thing in my books. :D

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:03 am

I hope you'll post pics of the pup when you get him, and stories....puppy stories are always fun!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:02 am

I think you just reduced your potential stress level a lot with that decision. LOL

I will post daycare info when I hear back from my trainer; I haven't forgotten but she is busy with a rescue right now. (Know anyone who wants to adopt a nice 8 year old Cockapoo whose owner had a stroke and will not be able to live on her own or care for a pet? :( )

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:21 pm

[quote=connie]I think you just reduced your potential stress level a lot with that decision. LOL[/quote]

I agree with Connie - that is a very good decision. You'll be able to focus on one puppy, and the best thing is that you'll have a "practice run" an probably find some things you might want to do different when you bring home your own puppy.

Return to “Activities, Training & Behavior”