Green Tripe - Frozen or canned?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Green Tripe - Frozen or canned?

Postby BarksaLot » Tue May 22, 2007 2:55 pm

Just wondering what you feed. I've noticed that there are companies you order the frozen, then I'd have to order a boat load?

Solid Gold has canned green tripe at Pet Co from what I've seen on line. From reading posts in the past, it's pretty stinky stuff, which appeals to the dogs - besides being good for them. I take it from what I've read I'll need to plug my nose.

So what is best, canned or order frozen? I'd rather go pick it up as I need it. What do you all do? :help:

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Green Tripe - Frozen or canned?

Postby Bari » Tue May 22, 2007 2:58 pm

I get canned Tripett from SitStay.com when I need it and you are right, it does stink :bleh:

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Tue May 22, 2007 3:00 pm

I feed both - fresh/frozen when I have it and canned when I forget to get more fresh. I think that the canned smells worse then the fresh.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Tue May 22, 2007 3:04 pm

The more processed the tripe is, the more of its nutritional benefits are destroyed.

One of the great things about fresh/frozen tripe is that all the gastric juices and enzymes are still intact.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Tue May 22, 2007 3:08 pm

Thanks All, I'll go shop on line.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Tue May 22, 2007 4:13 pm

I've been checking out greentripe.com - it's 25.00 just to have it shipped - kinda steep. Where do you get yours Mordanna?

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Tue May 22, 2007 5:47 pm

I order mine from Simon, http://www.crestonvalleymeats.com.

He comes to L.A. about every other week or so and you can meet him anywhere along his delivery route.

Ola

Postby Ola » Tue May 22, 2007 7:02 pm

The frozen tripe is raw, while the canned is cooked. As already mentioned, raw is better. Shipping is too expensive to Canada, so I'm always looking for direct sources of tripe; in the meantime I use the canned stuff occasionally, just for variety.

BorderMix
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BorderMix » Tue May 22, 2007 9:21 pm

OMA's also has a frozen raw green tripe as does A Place For Paws--and their shipping isn't that bad. I get a good organ blend from them too. I have recently gotten some from another source and let me tell you, this stuff has got to be the least processed and it is the most stinkiest stuff I have ever smelled!! And I can take a lot of stink! It came in 5lb chubs and I have to thaw it to re-bag it into 1 lb flat bags that are easier to defrost. I have been very pleased with A Place For Paws, but theirs is different looking than some of the others and it doesn't stink as bad.

Still, if you can find it somewhere else, I would definitely recommend getting the frozen raw kind. I like it when it's greenish in color and totally blows your mind when you open the package! :disturbed: You kinda get used to the smell, sorta.....and if you really want to go over the top with stink, you can try mixing it with fish for a lovely "fish and stink" dinner--one of Riley's favorites!

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed May 23, 2007 12:14 am

Well I guess you might as well drive the family away all at once with a fish-tripe stinky dinner, go all hog heaven. lol

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Wed May 23, 2007 5:28 am

Just a side note - the Solid Gold tripe isn't very tripe-y. It's mixed with potato and some other stuff. If you're going to go with canned, IMO it's better to go with Tripett.

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Wed May 23, 2007 6:02 am

I use both canned (Tripett) and frozen (A Place for Paws--but I don't know if they deliver to CA). Both are stinky, but in different ways!

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed May 23, 2007 1:22 pm

I just placed an order with Creston Foods, the Simon that Mordy mentioned, he's coming to LA tomorrow. I hope I can fit it all in my extra frige, may have to split it up between the 2 refrigerators. Bill, "what's for dinner," reply, "ground green tripe," yum :sgrin: lol - That'll get me out of cooking for awhile, hehe lol

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Wed May 23, 2007 1:52 pm

lol I keep frozen (raw), but I also keep the Solid Gold on hand too - simply because it's easy to get here for a reasonable price. Hope your puppers enjoy it as much as mine do!
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed May 23, 2007 1:55 pm

BarksaLot, with the tripe from Simon you are in for the ultimate tripe experience! rofl lol :grin:

The last batch I got was not cleaned at all, so it was over 50% stomach content. :sick: Since Quigley doesn't eat huge amounts, I rinsed off most of it and was left with less than half the weight in tripe with some stuff still attached.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed May 23, 2007 2:53 pm

Do you need to rinse the tripe? I also got some knuckle bones, lamb-goat tripe(I'll save that for a bit later), Stomach Grass and an Organ Meat Blend. Yummy!

Pchan
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Pchan » Wed May 23, 2007 6:06 pm

i'm so excited - i scored some free raw tripe from a woman who said it would take her 4 small dogs too long to free up space in her freezer! i didn't mention that i have only 2 small dogs lol

now to figure out where we're going to feed it!

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed May 23, 2007 6:11 pm

What do you mean Pchan, where to feed it, is it that nasty? I let Licorice chew a RMB on a bare plywood floor (will go be torn out in the remodel) it left a red stain. Guess I should just draw a chalk line around the dead bone. lol

BorderMix
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BorderMix » Wed May 23, 2007 6:24 pm

Oh, it's not that nasty! Really, you get used to it! It's no stinkier than, well, it's stinky, but it goes away quick!

BarksaLot, just get a big old towel or two to keep just for feeding bones (and they work better on carpet or a rug--no sliding). I have Riley trained pretty well that even if he tries to take his bone off of it, I tell him to get back on his towel and he does. Even if he is geting close to the edge of the towel, I've seen him actually pick up the bone and move it toward the middle.

Pchan
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Pchan » Wed May 23, 2007 6:26 pm

our issue is we live in an apartment with poor ventilation, so even if it's not THAT bad, it could build up... :sick:

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Wed May 23, 2007 6:29 pm

Jen - can you take the dogs outside individually to feed them? I've done that when we've traveled with canned tripe. It disappears fast enough that most people don't realize what's going on. :P Otherwise you could turn on the bathroom vent fan and feed them individually in the tub. I've done that in motels, too. :) Then you can clean out the tub with really hot water at the very least.

BorderMix
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BorderMix » Wed May 23, 2007 6:48 pm

You know, I guess I don't notice so much because my green tripe is mixed in with other stuff--I don't really feed it alone anymore. The only time I stink up the kitchen is when I open a 5 pound chub of it and re-package it.

Those are good ideas though if you're feeding just tripe.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Thu May 24, 2007 12:04 am

That's all good ideas everyone. We've fed in the house for a long time. Seems anytime we feed outside, we always draw ants, but I was thinking with this raw we might have to go outside, it would probably be gone so quick we might outfox the ants. Only problem is Smokey who wants to bury his goodies.

Manoa
Hopelessly addicted

Postby Manoa » Fri May 25, 2007 10:17 pm

[quote=Mordanna]

One of the great things about fresh/frozen tripe is that all the gastric juices and enzymes are still intact. [/quote]
Ewwww ... sometimes I'm horrified that I actually feed the stuff.

We feed fresh/frozen from greentripe.com, and canned Tripett. The boys LOVE the green lamb tripe from Tripett. We've also had good success with the Solid Gold product but yeah, not as much real tripe.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sat May 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Ok, you've got me intrigued by tripe. My usual store doesn't carry it, but I stopped by another store and they had the Tripett Green Tripe, Duck and Salmon so I picked up a couple of cans.

I used it in place of his usual canned (mixed with Orijen dry) and he devoured it. Jack's generally a grazer and isn't particularly fond of fish so that's a pretty good indication that he liked it. And it wasn't nearly as smelly as I was expecting (maybe because it wasn't just tripe, but was mixed with duck and salmon).

I'm not really clear, though, on the benefits of it. Is this something I should be giving him at regular intervals - daily, weekly, monthly? Can I use it in his regular rotation of canned foods or should it be fed in addition to his usual diet? Would the green beef tripe or green lamb tripe from Tripett be better (assuming I can get them)?

Manoa
Hopelessly addicted

Postby Manoa » Mon May 28, 2007 11:54 am

I give the boys canned or fresh tripe at least once a week. They seem to prefer the original and lamb tripe vs. the duck/salmon version.

If you're trying to create a balanced feeding schedule you might want to look into contacting Mordy through www.betterdogcare.com and having her create a personalized diet.

There are so many options, and it's so time consuming. Half the time I'd find something they liked, and I'd add it to their diet, but then I'd find out there was an issue with not enough calcium or vice versa.

(edited to add)
I'm not saying that we follow Mordanna's schedule perfectly all the time, but the boys coats have noticeably improved.

Kim65
Just popping in

Postby Kim65 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:31 pm

Please help me understand. Canned green tripe is processed and cooked, taking away the gastric enzymes and so forth. Fresh frozen is unprocessed and is the superior product in terms of benefits. Is the canned far less beneficial, or only slightly less beneficial for not having the gastric enzymes and other properties that cooking/processing removes?

I'm interested in feeding the boys green tripe, especially the Tripett Duck/Salmon combo for joint support.

Manoa
Hopelessly addicted

Postby Manoa » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:25 pm

ah, good questions ... that's definitely for someone more experienced.

for me, I try to feed fresh or frozen green tripe, but many times it's just easier to use the canned. Boys got Lamb & Apple TWO with Tripett Green Lamb Tripe for dinner tonight. Mmmmm, one of their favorite meals.

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:51 pm

Tripett claims that they have retained the nutritional benefits of green tripe, even though their product is canned (www.tripett.com--go to green tripe? and then FAQ). That's what I use when I don't feed fresh tripe. For me, the canned is a great thing to keep on hand for days when I forget to thaw something or if someone is having a picky day!

BorderMix
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BorderMix » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:38 am

I think in general, anything that is fresh or frozen is superior in nutritional benefits than canned or cooked food. I would say that even canned tripe has benefits, but I do think the fresh/frozen kind is better, although not as convenient and you do need to find a source for it. From what I understand, tripe has a very good balance of calcium to phosphorus ratio and is just plain good for dogs and most tend to love it. It's also treated as more of a muscle meat, so I use it to dilute mixes that I have with too much bone. Mordanna would tell you too, that many Europeans feed a diet that is very high in green tripe and I'm guessing that's because it has so many benefits and is just darn good for them.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”