ugh another health problem

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Michelle
Too much time on my hands

ugh another health problem

Postby Michelle » Sun May 08, 2005 8:01 am

Shh don't tell Benny I am posting this, I think he would be quite embarrassed.

Benny has been licking his butt quite a bit lately so I assume something is itchy/irritating, he hasn't been scooting but then again I haven't ever seen him scoot, maybe he just doesn't do it? He has also been smelling a bit like anal glands (ewww) I have only known him to stink like that twice in the time I have known him after he had a big scare (unlike stinky Lady) So I think hmmm maybe he has intestinal worms, it has been ages since I wormed him (maybe 6 months or more, I don't like to put poisons in him for no reason so only worm if I think it is possible he actually has them) so I wormed him on Friday night but haven't seen any signs of them in his business since then. (48 hours)

Anyway I take him out to the loo tonight and he does his business, which I think he has been putting off all day, a few times when I took him out earlier he looked about to go and then changed his mind. He looked very uncomfortable squatting. I got a flash light to look for any sign of worms (my neighbours probably think I am crazy ) and noticed that it was very hard (probably from holding on all day? he used to have a problem with that but I fixed by changing his meal plan around) and there was a red tinge on on the outside. My poor boy, maybe he has infected anal glands or something, anyway I guess he gets a trip to the vet tomorrow or Tuesday. Anyone know what it could be? or have anything I should try first? I am off to bed now but will check back in the morning before makeing an appointment.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: ugh another health problem

Postby Calypso » Sun May 08, 2005 8:04 am

I'm thinking it probably is the anal glands being either impacted or infected. Either way the vet should be able to help you out. Poor Benny! Just tell him it can happen to the best of dogs. My friend's mini schnauzer was on her lap before he went into the obedience ring yesterday and left a nice little gland ring on her pants.

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Sun May 08, 2005 9:29 am

Scarlett has a problem with impacted anal glands. Last time we were at the vet I had her express them and they were so impacted a big glob hit the wall on the other side of the room. Ewww! Honestly Scarlett didn't seem nearly as embarrassed as I was.

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Brenda » Sun May 08, 2005 11:26 am

Yup, sounds like anal glands to me, too. Hopefully that's all it is and he'll be fine

Michelle

Postby Michelle » Sun May 08, 2005 8:56 pm

Thanks guys, we are off to the vet in a few hours, will let you know how it goes

spiritdogs

Postby spiritdogs » Mon May 09, 2005 4:06 am

If it turns out to be anal sacs, you can learn to empty them yourself and save the vet bill. Most groomers know how to do it, and will be happy to show you. But, it's helpful to do it in the bathtub, so you can wash his little bum right off and avoid the smell (ewww).

Michelle

Postby Michelle » Mon May 09, 2005 6:31 am

Back from the vet, they had a few emergencies today and were running an hour late, but that is ok. They vet checked him out and expressed his anal glands and some blood and black stuff came out, EWWWW! poor Benny it must have hurt alot because he was shaking and tryed to climb onto my lap to escape The vet thinks it is infected anal glands and gave him some antibiotics and if it doesn't clear up he said we should come back, or if they get impacted again. If that happens I will get him to show me what to do (although I have a pretty good idea anyway)
On the plus side he didn't charge us very much because of the long wait I think he felt bad, so it was only $31 all up including the antibiotics.

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Brenda » Mon May 09, 2005 7:16 am

Awww... poor baby It's the first time I ever heard Zoe cry was when they expressed her infected anal glands

Could you see a bulge by the anus? Or did the vet show you?

With Zoe, it came upon us so fast - one day, fine, next day, infected and impacted - that we got them removed. There was no warning - no scooting, no licking, no smell, nothing.

Hopefully you'll recognize the signs earlier every time until you can keep ahead of it and then they won't get infected or impacted and it won't be such a big deal

Most say to try to express anal glands in the bathtub during a bath - easier to clean up

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Mon May 09, 2005 12:25 pm

I am glad to hear that it is not too serious - Also nice that the bill was not bad, that always helps.

I am sending lots of belly rubs to Benny to feel better quick!

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Mon May 09, 2005 2:14 pm

poor benny. hopefully he'll be all better soon!

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Mon May 09, 2005 2:58 pm

Poor Benny! I sure hope he's feeling better.
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

DawnJazz
Quite involved

Postby DawnJazz » Tue May 10, 2005 6:41 am

Awww, poor baby! I hope he is feeling better soon! I expressed Honey's anal glands once. Pew, did that stink! We did do it, in the bathtub.
DawnK and Jasmine - Australian Cattle Dog

Manoa
Hopelessly addicted

Postby Manoa » Tue May 10, 2005 5:16 pm

Along with expressing them yourself you might want to talk to the vet about diet (if it's a recurring problem).

Years ago I worked at a vet hospital and I seem to recall that (other than breed type) the amount of fat in the diet exacerbated the problem.

But that was years ago.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”