To grain or not to grain?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

To grain or not to grain?

Postby amyzon » Sun May 08, 2005 5:55 am

It's dog food making day here; I went out to that Rogersville raw food supplier and stocked up on ground whole chicken, ground whole rabbit and turkey, plus some lamb and even a bit of ground whole duck for them to try! Also came back with a haul of RMB's (deer, beef, lamb, and goat....it's a mixed bag or I don't know if I would have gotten the goat. Oh well!)

I'm trying to decide whether or not to add brown rice to this batch. Some resources say yes to grains, and some say no. I have also read on here that some of your dogs do not tolerate grains well at all. I've made batches both with and without, and really haven't been able to tell any difference in coat, ears, poop size, etc...the positive side to the rice is that it makes the whole batch last a little longer and makes it even more economical to feed raw. Plus they seem to stay fuller longer (no early morning hunger dry heaves), so that's definitely a plus. Now that summer is on it's way and both dogs will be alot more active; they will be eating more, so I'm definitely leaning towards adding the rice.

Opinions for or against?? Thanks!

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: To grain or not to grain?

Postby Brenda » Sun May 08, 2005 6:58 am

Well, I don't feed any grain but I have teensy dogs so cost isn't an issue. If your dogs tolerate grain and do as well with it as without it, I'd feed it to help keep your food bills down. It can't hurt if they don't mind it, I'd say

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Sun May 08, 2005 7:13 am

I agree. If your dogs do well with it it's certainly not hurting them. And brown rice is generally considered better than white, so you've got that going for them, too.

I wish Cousteau didn't bulk up on grains so easily - I'd love to cut some of his meals with grains.

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Sun May 08, 2005 7:13 am

Both Skye and Quinn do better with a little carbs added. I use potato and they do very well on that. Scarlett seems to have trouble with potato but does okay on rice, so I really think it is an individual thing. The fact they aren't having trouble and stay full longer is a good reason to continue using it. I will tell you that there are people out there that say carbs aggravate arthritis, but I don't know is there are any facts to back that up.

Michelle
Too much time on my hands

Postby Michelle » Sun May 08, 2005 7:14 am

I said in another thread that Benny didn't do well on grains, this comes from my observastions back when I still fed him about 2/3 dry food, the dry food I was feeding him changed recipie from mostly meat to mostly grains and I noticed a big drop in condition. Now that I feed him all raw, I do give grains (usually rice or oats or wheat) sometimes mainly for variety and he is fine as long as it is not a huge part of his diet I am no expert but if I was you I would go ahead and put in the rice, especially if your girls haven't shown any problems before.

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Sun May 08, 2005 12:25 pm

Thanks guys...the girls are both so energetic, especially Pepper, that I haven't had to really worry much about their intake. Abby is slightly more of a couch potato, so I just feed her a little less than Pepper. I also cut her back just a bit over the last few weeks since she hasn't been allowed to run as much due to the shoulder. But yeah, they really seem to do well with the rice in their mix. I also throw in 2-3 sweet potatoes to every batch, since they are so high in antioxidants and other nutrients. I have used oats in place of the rice, and that seemed to work well also.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Sun May 08, 2005 3:02 pm

my personal opinion is more for grains (not in insane amounts of course) rather than against, if the individual dog doesn't have problems tolerating grains.

especially things like brown rice, oats and barley have many healthy properties the dogs can benefit from. sure, dogs don't have a real dietary need for carbs, but that does not mean they can't make use of them. carbs supply energy, and if you cook the grains really well (overcooked by human standards), they are definitely an energy source to draw from over a longer period of time.

especially for dogs who have trouble keeping weight on, the combination of carbs with fat works well - but of course in overweight dogs this is an undesirable effect, which is (going off topic here ) why people should avoid all those "lite" and "diet" kibbles on the market.

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Sun May 08, 2005 3:22 pm

With my guys I use oatmeal, sweet potato and potato with excellent results. When I had them on a bland diet recently, I noticed that the brown rice came out in their poop looking like it had not been digested.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Sun May 08, 2005 3:23 pm

jodi, then you might not have cooked it long enough. especially rice has to be cooked pretty much to a mush, or you can pulverize the dry rice grains to "rice flour" and cook that, it doesn't take quite as long.

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Sun May 08, 2005 3:29 pm

hmmm, that would make sense, but I did overcook it according to the package directions.... I will try it again then.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Sun May 08, 2005 4:35 pm

rice is stubborn. just add some extra water, turn the heat to "low" and forget about it for a couple hours. lol

oatmeal cooks faster, you might want to give that a try too.

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Sun May 08, 2005 5:32 pm

yeah, I do use oatmeal and the pups love it!

Sally
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Sally » Mon May 09, 2005 12:05 am

if you grind up the brown rice, how do you know when it is done? let say I ground up 1/3 cup of brown rice, how much water and how long?

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Mon May 09, 2005 1:47 pm

a little more water than you'd use for cooking whole grains, since it's soaked up much faster. i'd say about 1/4 times more, and add a little extra if you have to. cook 20-30 minutes, it depends on the type of rice you use. you'll get something that is the consistency of cream of wheat.

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Mon May 09, 2005 2:09 pm

The Vollhard book has a way to make grains that is very easy. 3 parts water to 1 part grain (I did 6 cups of water to 2 cups of grain) . Bring the water to a boil, mix in the grains, bring water to a boil again. Remove from heat and let sit for 24 hours. The consistency should be runny. It worked great. I'm not currently feeding grains.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”