Was this a seizure?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Was this a seizure?

Postby connie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:01 am

Last night, about 3 am, I was waked up by dogs moving around in my bedroom and some scrabbling noises. I turned on the light and grabbed my glasses and saw Beau, right by his bed (on the floor at the foot of my bed), lying on his back like a turtle that had gotten turned over. He was thrashing around and couldn't right himself. The other dogs were standing around watching him.

I reached down and picked him up and set him on his feet and he pancaked. Collapsed on the floor in a kind of C-shape. He seemed to have no muscle strength.

Now freaked out, I picked him up and held him in my lap for 5-10 minutes until he relaxed. Then I set him down on the floor again and this time he stood, and walked a couple of steps to his bed. My t-shirt where I had been cuddling him was soaked with saliva, and his front ruff and fur were soaked too. No vomiting, but copious drooling.

This morning he seems fine, went out and wandered around the yard, pottied, came back up the deck stairs, all normal.

But as a trainer friend says, 'if it happened once, it will happen again.' What WAS that episode last night?

Beau turned 11 last week and has no known health issues, is on no meds, and up till now his biggest issue has been the world's worst teeth.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Was this a seizure?

Postby emmas_mom » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:57 am

From my experience, it was mostly likely a seizure, though it could have been a stroke (the symptoms can be similar, though the heavy drool is more common in canine seizures than canine strokes, IIRC). I'm sorry, Connie. Hopefully it can be quickly controlled with meds.
Mom to Maggie, Emma and Allie, and occasional foster mom. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie and Mitzi.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:22 am

I don't think it was a stroke, I've seen that and there were invariably effects and deficits resulting. Beau is absolutely fine today: ate his breakfast, went on the walk as usual, ran around in the yard in the snow with Rowley.

It didn't present like a vestibular episode, I've had lots of experience with those in dogs. And it wasn't a muscle spasm. So I guess I have to think it was a seizure. How odd! I wonder what the cause was?

On Monday (two days from now) I'm taking Peeks to see our vet to talk about end of life for her; I'll mention Beau's event to him. I don't at all like the idea of Beau on seizure meds, and I'm inclined to start with CBD oil and see if that controls whatever this is. Interestingly, the AKC is funding a study to learn more about the efficacy of CBD oil for dogs with epilepsy : https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/healt ... -seizures/

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:07 am

Yes, I agree it was more likely a seizure. And, thinking of Eddie when he started having seizures, the pharmaceutical meds are not fun. I'd certainly start with the CBD oil right away - it can't hurt and may help. I've read up quite a bit on CBD oil, as I use it with Maggie at the vet's recommendation (for anxiety), and frequently see references to it being used to help people with epilepsy, as well as helping minimize seizures in dogs. Of course, a lot may depend on the severity, frequency, and cause of the seizures. If Beau has more, note the time, length, etc - and have a look at the eyes to record the movement etc. These are all things my vet asked me to do when Eddie's seizures started.
Mom to Maggie, Emma and Allie, and occasional foster mom. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie and Mitzi.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Oh shoot, I hate seizures. I'm so sorry. :( We used lots of CBD for MP's seizures and owies; dosage depends, but we were advised to use a lot more than the label indicates, which apparently is pretty common. My fave capsule brand is Canna Companion, and Endoca for the oils. Like Jean said, if it happens again, I would time it (ictal and post, until he's totally back to normal), and give something like vanilla ice cream (or some kind of glucose + fat combo) immediately after. Ice packs on neck and/or lower back is supposed to thwart or stop/shorten one, too. Hopefully you won't need to do any of these things, because he won't have another!

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”