Probable stroke

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Probable stroke

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:17 pm

We think it's likely that Max has a stroke last night. He woke up this morning with sudden blindness and was spinning circles last night, which is unusual. This morning we went back to the dentist for his follow-up. His teeth incisions are fine but he has some sinus congestion I was concerned about.
He didn't want to get up this morning so I carried him to and from the dentist, was running a fever at the dentist and had goopy eyes. I got him home and it quickly became clear he couldn't see. He was panicked, frantically bumping around the house so I closed off rooms off the hallways but he's bumping around. He also made a hard left and, instead of coming into the kitchen he fell 7 ft down the stairwell to the basement. Shaina carried him back upstairs and felt him up to make sure nothing was broken. We went to his normal vet today who thinks he had a stroke, or less likely a vestibular episode, given the symptoms. He's finally sleeping. I don't know what to do, clinical trial? Will the eyesight recover? We have bloodwork on Friday for the trial. We'll see how he does.
Last edited by maxs_mommy on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Probable stroke

Postby connie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:59 pm

Oh gosh, I'm sorry, Ashley. Poor Max and poor you and Shaina.
It sounds like a stroke more than vestibular, but that's only my guess. I hope you see some improvement soon.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:08 pm

Oh the poor guy. All fingers crossed for the best possible outcome!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:20 pm

Ashley, I'm so sorry. It does sound more like a stroke, unless his tumour has spread to the optic nerve and/or brain?
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:22 pm

I'm sorry he has gone through this. I'm sending healing vibes to him❤

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Oh Ashley, how distressing.

Oliver had a seizure that blinded him on the day I let him go. Since I was planning to send him over the bridge sometime that week, I did't wait to see if it would come back, but I remember the distress. I put a leash on him to keep him from getting too lost. It was so hard to watch. My heart goes out to you and Shaina.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:23 pm

He's obviously distressed and keeps getting stuck in corners. I don't know how to calm him down. Tomorrow I go back to work and S will be home with him but can't lift for 4 weeks. He's calmer when I hold him and rock him while standing but panics when I sit with him. On top of being suddenly blind he's discombobulated, which his vet thinks might be CCD. Damn it. We were doing so well, all things considered.
Last edited by maxs_mommy on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:25 pm

Oh dear, I'm sorry to you all. Are you able to call and speak with the doctor running the trial. If so, you may get some answers to your questions while you are speaking with this vet. Also, it would be a shame to put him through the labs if the vet thinks it may be advisable to delay or cancel in light of the possible stroke and fever.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:31 pm

I am in contact with the trial vet. I actually want the labs on Friday but I don't know how this impacts the trial. Today is day 1, quality of life is not only on bad days but I won't let it devolve. I may also try cbd oil for calmness.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Jean, there is a possibility that the tumor spread. The location is close to the base of his brain so that could be or it could be the Cushing's tumor. Without an MRI or cat scan there's no good way to tell.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:30 am

Yes, I was going to suggest CBD oil to calm him a bit.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:25 pm

I second the CBD oil - it definitely helps Maggie. Be aware that CBD oil often 'selects' the most pronounced issue first (for example pain over anxiety), so it can take awhile to show results for a specific symptom. In some dogs, however, the result is immediate (or within a day or two). Although Mags gets it on a daily basis, I do give an extra dose when something really stressful or excitable is about to happen, and it definitely helps her chill out.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:11 pm

I am so sorry, you guys. If you use CBD, and it turns out that he's not into the taste, you can put it in the butt. I don't know MO weed law, but I would have gotten real marijuana-derived products for MP if it were easier. Praying his eye sight will come back. Would something like thundershirt help calm him a bit? Sending all the healing vibes and sanity. Big hugs.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:54 am

How's Max doing now?

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:22 am

So vision has returned, though it is low. He went to the eye doc and his regular vet for a recheck on Monday. He's also got a dog equivalent of a head cold, complete with gross snot. The first two nights of blindness were Hell. He was panicked, we were panicked. I did notice that when he was congested his vision diminished. When he was sneezing and blowing snot he could also see. The bloodwork results from last week are on but I don't have copies. They'll send the labs to my vet from the clinical trial but are reluctant to email them to me. No matter, my vet happily forwards those emails. I'm hoping to get that tomorrow and possibly Abx if it's warranted.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”