GoFundMe site for Peekaboo

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
connie
Built-in Forum Feature

GoFundMe site for Peekaboo

Postby connie » Thu May 03, 2018 5:10 am

I looked around and all the crowd-funding sites cost something, so I am going with GoFundMe, which has the best reviews and reputation.

My objective is to raise the money I will need for Peekaboo's spay and dental surgery. Here's the story I'm putting up; would you please read it and tell me if you think it needs any changes? Thank you!
Peekaboo is a senior Sheltie who was rescued from a hoarder environment in 2015. She is 14 years old, and she and her sister, Posey, live with me in Chicago. I have several other dogs, and I took in the Merle Girl sisters in 2015 because they had nowhere to go and I had room for them.

When Peekaboo and Posey got into rescue and were sent to me, the rescue didn't do much in the way of providing veterinary care. Over the nearly 3 years I've had them, I've taken care of their health issues, including spending over $800 on a dental surgery for Posey last year that removed a number of infected or decayed teeth.

This month, I found that Peekaboo, who I thought had been spayed long ago, is not spayed, and is intact. She also needs to have her teeth cleaned and, I am sure, a number of them removed. My other dogs have run up some major vet bills this spring, eating up my 'emergency fund', and I am not able to come up with the cost of Peekaboo's surgery. I presented this matter to the rescue that placed them with me, and have received no offers of funds, nor support of any kind. That's why I'm turning to crowd-funding, and asking for the kindness of pet owners and dog lovers to help me provide immediate health care for Peekaboo.

Her surgery should be done in late June, at which time she will be far enough past the heat cycle she's now in that the surgery won't be as risky. I have obtained an estimate from my veterinary clinic for the surgery, which will include the dental and the spay. If anyone wants to donate directly to my vet clinic, I will be happy to provide that information to you. I am trying to raise funds in the amount of that estimate.

Peeks has not had the best life. She's very shy, anxious about everything, but she has settled into a routine in my home that seems to suit her. She is with her sister almost all the time, and she enjoys the company of my other dogs. She suffers from intervertebral disc disease, which means I need to keep an eye on her for flares, which we then treat with medications. I very much want Peekaboo to have a stress-free old age, and getting this surgery done will make that happen for her.

I'm not a 501(c)3, I can't offer you tax deductions for your donation. I'm just someone who is a sucker for old dogs that get thrown out, and is hoping that you will help Peeks get her surgery.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: GoFundMe site for Peekaboo

Postby SherriA » Thu May 03, 2018 7:20 am

Have you looked at YouCaring? They don't take any of the money, or they didn't a few years ago when I used them. They aren't as well known as GoFundMe, and IIRC it was a little tricky to use paypal with them, but they don't take a cut of the money.

Other than that, I think the write up is great

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu May 03, 2018 9:49 am

YouCaring was taken over by GoFundMe. :blah: Oh, sorry, YouCaring JOINED GoFundMe. Gotta get the corporate shuck and jive talk down!
https://help.youcaring.com/hc/en-us

Here's Peekaboo's fundraiser site:
https://www.gofundme.com/peekaboo039s-s ... gn=welcome

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri May 04, 2018 5:40 am

I posted the link on the Shetland Sheepdog Club page on FB, several thousand members -- no donations yet, which is okay, but one woman said she would put it in her prayers that the fundraising objective is reached.

Here's what a heathen I am: I'D RATHER HAVE $5, LADY!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri May 04, 2018 9:53 am

Just had a call from the rescue that sent the Girls to me. Somebody effed up bigly. :lol: They're going to donate.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Fri May 04, 2018 10:11 am

Yay! Glad to hear they stepped up.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am

The $500 from Barbara Bellini is the LISSR rescue donation, the GoFundMe goal is met. Along with the PayPal donations received, I have the $1200 I need for the surgery and a bit more, and I'll be able to put it all in the Merle Girls names at my vet clinic.

This is such a relief to me. I'm still completely freaked out by Rowley's heartworm, and Peekaboo's condition was one more thing that I just couldn't process at this point. I'm very grateful to everyone who donated, and I'm thankful that the rescue did the right thing. Barbara is the head of the rescue; I suppose I should have gone to her initially, but Amy L placed the dogs with me and has always been my contact. So when I presented this to Amy and got no offer of help more than a week later, I said in a PM to her that I was going to fund-raise on FB to get money for Peeks's surgery. I added "I am completely disgusted that the rescue is not helping with this.'

To which she replied 'They still might. Barbara is getting input from the Board.'

Today I replied to Amy with the link to the GoFundMe site and within 20 minutes I had a phone call from Barbara. Oh, the rescue was ALWAYS going to pay for this! ALWAYS! Yes, silly me, the words "they still might" are a firm commitment of funds, eh? So Barbara donated $500, my dear friend Carol topped off the final $10 to make the goal, and I'm so, so relieved.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri May 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Oh yay! I just saw this, but glad the funds were raised and the rescue stepped up. Belatedly, for sure. Funny how things move when a little pressure is applied.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri May 04, 2018 9:53 pm

What a relief! I'm glad the rescue stepped up.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Sat May 05, 2018 8:54 pm

Good for the rescue. I hope it was just miscommunication. I’ve often responsed to parents wth “might” and “maybe” when I know it’s a 99% done deal but can’t say anything because technically the board has to approve.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”