Spore biotics?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Spore biotics?

Postby connie » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:07 pm

I took two of the dogs to their chiro today -- I've seen this chiro for 19 years now, he's been invaluable to all my dogs and I couldn't have kept Sander and Mikey alive without Dr H's help -- and told him about Rowley's heartworm positive. We went over the treatment and the nutritional support I've put into place, and he said 'the only thing I can suggest is spore biotics, a course of those might help him' and he went on to talk about gut health and how it's the foundation of all other health.

So I looked up spore biotics when I got home, and it seems to be a prebiotic? I really hate ordering anything from Mercola, and I'm not sure this supplement will add much to Rowley's benefit. He's getting a daily probiotic and also the saccharomyces boulardii that Sabine recommended. He takes 200 mg of doxy at breakfast, mid-day he gets the probiotics and s. boulardii, and at dinner another 200 mg of doxy. He's tolerating this very well, no loose stools or digestive disturbances so far. He also gets plain kefir 5 days a week on his breakfast kibble, and plain yogurt the other 2 days a week.

So, has anyone used spore biotics, have any thoughts pro or con?

https://shop.mercola.com/product/2177/c ... day-supply

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Re: Spore biotics?

Postby Sabine » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:16 pm

It's a probiotic/medicinal mushroom combo product. Spores are the dormant stage of certain strains of bacteria, but can also refer to the spores of fungi. I'm not sure which he is playing on in his marketing here, but probably both.

The nice thing about probiotic strains in spore form (e.g. bacillus coagulans) is that they don't need refrigeration and they are very resistant to a hostile environment (e.g. stomach acid) until they get where they want to be and "wake up".

Keep in mind that "probiotics" is a catch-all term for beneficial microorganisms, most commonly bacteria, and different strains have very different properties and effects.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Spore biotics?

Postby connie » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:26 pm

I think I'll give it a try. Rowley gut health can use improvement. His chiro, as I was leaving, said "And also, with Rowley, don't forget --" and we both said in unison "-- he had Lyme two years ago."

Rowley is more susceptible than some other dogs -- some of MY other dogs -- to pest-borne illnesses. Dr H said that without a healthy gut, robust good health is hard to establish and count on; and that reminds me that Rowley has also picked up intestinal parasites way more often than my other dogs, and most of his life it's been a struggle to keep weight on him. He has deceptively unremarkable poop, but his gut can use some help. And this is almost certainly something that goes back to his genetic inheritance, and possibly to his first 16 weeks. He didn't come into rescue until 7 months of age. I don't think he or his parents had the best of health or health support. And now, in middle age, this kind of thing underlines that fundamental weakness.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”