Probiotics: human grade vs dog specific

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Amanda
Permanent Resident

Probiotics: human grade vs dog specific

Postby Amanda » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Does anyone have info about using a human grade probiotic vs a humans’ supplement? I’m in a conversation about Purina’s fortiflora supplement and there was some push back on my suggestion that they could just purchase a human supplement instead. The argument was that dog gut flora differs from ours and so a human supplement would not be as effective. Just wondering if this is true and if anyone knows of studies or resources to check out?

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Probiotics: human grade vs dog specific

Postby connie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:39 pm

I'm curious about this, but skeptical about the claim that the gut bacteria is that different.
I went to the FortiFlora site and found that the ingredient they mention is Enterococcus faecium.
http://www.fortiflorafordogs.com/usage.html

Okay, what's that? "Enterococcus is a large genus of bacteria to which the species Enterococcus faecium belongs. This bacterial species is gram-positive, spherical, and often occurs in pairs or chains, rather than clumps.[2] Mammals, including humans, usually have Enterococcus colonies already in and on their bodies, particularly in the gastrointestinal tract and on the skin."
https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/nat ... ic-strain/

Wikipedia and multiple other sites tell me that enterococcus faecium is found in the guts of both humans and dogs. I look to see if it's an ingredient in probiotics for humans, and yep, it is. In many of them.

So on a 10-minute inquiry, I would say that FortiFlora is not superior to human-grade probiotics, so long as the human-grade probiotic being used contains enterococcus faecium.

FortiFlora contains a few other things that dog owners might want to administer -- some low doses of vitamins C and E -- but as a probiotic, I can't see how it's superior.

Ingredients (Dry)
Animal digest, Enterococcus faecium, L-ascorbyl- 2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, beta-Carotene, salt, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

So I'm curious too.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:56 pm

I don't have any scientific facts for you but I have given Gringo only human grade probiotics his whole life and I can absolutely see a big difference when he doesn't get them daily which tells me they are working very well for him. I used to give G Jarrow then switched to NOW brand 4x6 a few/several years ago.

Trainer friend E also gives her dogs human grade probiotics.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:05 pm

Not true.

I typically recommend human grade products, since they don't have crappy fillers/additives and are at least a little better regulated. They work, the evidence is in the results.

Remember, what goes in comes out, so you can "culture" anything from the feces that was given. So if I wanted to culture proprietary/trademarked/whatever strain 45-DX-L08V2 from a dog, I can do that after it's been administered. Bam.

What you have to keep in mind is that various strains/types have different properties/effects, so you need to choose based on what your specific goals are. However, in almost all cases a standard human supplement is fine.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”