Help with Cushings shih tzu

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
suztzu
Getting to know you

Help with Cushings shih tzu

Postby suztzu » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:20 pm

Hello, I have a 13yr old Shih Tzu I need help with my dogs diet. He has been on Natures Variety instinct small breed raw boost with Weruva canned or northwest naturals dehydrated raw toppers. But Natures Variety has changed the recipe on all its varieties and its now too high in fat I have tried the honest kitchen Hope version Beef and chickpea but it was not enough fat and too much pooping way to difficult for him to eat so we went to Fromm Chicken ala veg and thats not going well either poor digestion. Does anyone have suggestions for food for a cushings dog thats lower fat between 13 and 10 % it I am thinking of Wellness Senior small breed how reputable is Wellness Thanks for any advice Susan

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Help with Cushings shih tzu

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi Susan - I can't answer your question directly, but there is a facebook groups specifically for people whose dogs have Cushings. I've seen it recommended to friends of mine a few times, so here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/28202071464/. Hopefully, others here will also have ideas for you.
Mom to Maggie, Emma and Allie, and occasional foster mom. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie and Mitzi.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:03 pm

Can I ask why the low fat? Fat usually, with the exception maybe exacerbating some of the of weird liver values Cushing's creates, doesn't become an issue b/c of Cushings. Food issues aren't a general issue with Cushing's, if you factor out the incessant hunger when the disease isn't well controlled. Some drugs interact with certain foods (ex. Anipryl) so that's a consideration but it's always a consideration with any drug. What are you doing for medical management?

Max, our Cocker has pituitary Cushing's (Diagnosed 10/2015) and we manage him on Primal raw but it's not inherently low fat (crude fat min. 14%) and he get's plenty of 80/20 ground beef plus fruits and veggies and egg for calories. He was on NV Raw for awhile but several years ago they changed his formula and it no longer worked (long story very very short). I'm sure you know Cushing's has a tendency to cause weird muscle wasting in the spinal ridge and weird pooching in the groin, among other symptoms when uncontrolled, so I try to make sure we have weight in appropriate places. My experience is to feed high quality food that provides the calories the body actually needs in a form it can use, (not the amount of calories the excess cortisol thinks it needs, he'd be 50# instead of 24!). Recently we did notice Max was too thin and upped his food portions, not that he minded one bit. :lol: We have other medical factors to consider as of late so our recent experience is somewhat predicated on that but we haven't changed his diet formula since the Cushing's, with the exception of deleting any foods his meds interact with.

The last time I checked Wellness was still a reputable brand but I haven't fed it to any of my fur faces for about 4 years when we had a cat who ate the canned b/c of kidney disease linked to old age. If THK is generally agreeable but it just needs more fat, could you add some fatty ground beef or some fish oil?
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

suztzu
Getting to know you

Postby suztzu » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for the replies I have decided to do a consult with Sabine and go the home cooking route. I agree with maxs mommy that primal would be great
from what I was told because cushings dogs are predisposed to pancreatitis low fat is advised I dont agree with this but Leo has always done well on 15 % with weruva canned mixed it. He was on NV small breed raw boost with canned but they have changed the formulations and its now too high in calories and fat for my guy and I was experiencing alot of inconsitencies with the bags too many raw bits and kibble crumbly etc. His body has gotten weird with the spine ridge he has lost alot of muscle wasting but only down a pound. I will be checking out the facebook page for cushings dogs Thanks all

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”