Old age or kidney failure

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Old age or kidney failure

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Rosie is:
- getting a bit picky about food (very unusual for her)
-starting to have a bit of incontinence. I've found a couple of small puddles. It seems like they happen when she hasn't been out in a 4 -5 hrs and she comes to see me at the door or at my desk. She is getting pee on herself, unlike when she squats to pee. Thus far she isn't peeing on her beds.
-farts audibly- which startles her
-weak in her back end
-can still enjoy walks, but tires quickly

She's had a physical and blood work when she was at the e-vet for retinitis and it was normal, but I don't think they looked at kidney values like creatinine and BUN.

I do not want to do the kidney failure thing a year after doing it with Sam and two years after doing it with Ben. :cry:

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Old age or kidney failure

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:19 pm

See if you can do the cbc with Sdma test. It directs early stage kidney disease much better. In sorry she's slowing and I hate incontinence. Will she use a potty pad, put somewhere easy to clean, as a last resort?
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:58 am

^ What maxs mommy said. Most dogs in extreme old age have some level of kidney failure, but many die of more natural causes before kidney issues become seriously debilitating. I think all of my dogs over the age of 15 showed kidney issues, but only one went through the whole stressful kidney failure bit (Mitzi). Even my dogs that died at 13 or so lost interest in food towards the end (well, most of them), farted more, piddled occasionally (and passed stool in their sleep), were weak in the back end, and tired easily. So it is possible Rosie is just following a typical 'getting old' path. I can't remember how old she is?
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Is she drinking more than usual? The test Ashley recommended is where I would start for bloodwork. But much like Jean said, most dogs seem to have these ailments as they get older. How long ago was the evet visit?

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:57 pm

Rosie came as an adult to rescue, but best guess is she's about 15. She is not drinking more than usual. Sam didn't seem to drink more than normal, but he was waking us up to pee during the night in his last year or more. I need to get Will in for a rabies vax sometimes soon. I think I'll bring her along and see about creatinine, BUN and SDMA for her. She's eating Orijen red meat or Honest Kitchen Love, so if she does have a kidney issue, I should really alter her diet.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:04 pm

e-vet visit was maybe a month ago?

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Maybe double check the e-vet work up for the details and then get the other tests for your peace of mind?

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:01 pm

I'm about to spend $800 or so to neuter Will and do his OFA hips and elbows and MDR1 etc, what's a few more $$ to the vet, right?

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:52 pm

Just a few extra drops in the bucket. ;)

Unless you feel something is really off, maybe just sit on it for a while? I know what it is to prioritize vet bills.... not fun. :thumbdown:

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”