CBD hemp oil for anxiety?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Amanda
Permanent Resident

CBD hemp oil for anxiety?

Postby Amanda » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:38 am

Does anyone have experience using CBD/ hemp oil for their dog? A friend just gave me some left over treats from her dog who passed away. I am going to try it for Zeke but I only have enough for two doses (her dog was 20lbs). Another person I know recommended Treatibles as an option, but they are like $4/dose. Not something I can do daily. But maybe if it works well I could use it for assistance in training sessions or known trigger situations. There are other brands on Amazon that look cheaper. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has experience. I'll let you know if we see any difference when we try what i have now.

As an aside, he is doing well. He went out to play at daycare for 20 min last week. He hasn't been able to go back out since. But it is spring break so things are super duper busy and that isn't good for him. I also took him to J's tball game two weeks ago out of necessity (coming home from work and didn't have time to take him home first). We stayed about 25 yards away and with chicken, cheese, and hot dogs, we managed to have zero reactive episodes. He was intensely managed the entire time, but I got him to lay down and relax for a few minutes, too. I took it as a win.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: CBD hemp oil for anxiety?

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:50 am

I'm using canna-pet for jazz, I think it may treat some of her collagen issues.

Noticeable benefits: she eats better (important for an IBD dog), she has more Joy.

I am not sure about her anxiety if it is helping with that, jury is still out. I just restarted a few days ago and it may be too soon.

Jazz is 20 lbs. Last time I tried this I was giving her 1/2 a normal dose twice a day, and she got pretty amped up so I stopped for awhile. Now i'm giving 1/3 a capsule once each morning. I do see results in her Joy after a couple of days.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:21 am

I actually tried it on him today. I hoped it would help him chill out for a chance to work through his issues in daycare. He was actually worse out there than usual. Granted, his outbursts at other dogs were justified (other dogs were being rude to him) but his response was over the top and we can't let him do that in a group setting. On the plus side, he was calmer in his kennel in the kennel room (usually he barks constantly and I have to crate him) and he has been more mellowed out at home tonight than usual. The brand I have is Barkworthies, but I can't find them anywhere. Zukes makes a calming treat too, but I don't think it has cbd in it. I am going to try using it again maybe in a half dose and see if that is different. Maybe a full dose made him feel weird and edgy?

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:33 am

MP uses hemp CBD products! (And I borrow it sometimes!) :D I do think it definitely works to chill out dogs (and humans)! I know that MP and I both sleep super soundly when we take it at night, and she gives less shits in general when I give her some before a likely-stressful event (say, a get together at a friend's house).

We use it for seizures and for pain relief—I am not sure if it does anything for pain, but it seems to help with seizures somewhat. The brands I've used are Canna-Pet (oil, capsules, cookies) and Endoca (oil), and am going to try the Canna Companion capsules when they come back in stock, because my vet friend met the owner of CC and was thoroughly impressed and recommended them. For our purposes, I think I've been giving too little, so am scheduling a free consult with a vet at Canna Companion. The companies that sell this stuff have been super amazing at providing ongoing help re: dosage, timing, etc. The good thing about hemp CBD is that you can't really hurt them if you give more than indicated—they just sleep it off. I gave MP too much oil a the very beginning (the dropper kind of sucks for control) and she just Zzzzzzz-ed super great for a few hours.

Speaking of dosage, I got the Endoca oils last time because Canna Pet products don't have a guarantee for how much CBD is in their products, while the Endoca oils contain 1 mg per drop. One good thing about Canna-Pet is that it's made for animals by vets (but ppl can take them), and (not sure if that is the reason, but...) their oil tastes a billion times better than the Endoca kinds made for humans.

I would do oils if you want quicker effects (w/in hour) for a limited time; capsules if you want to sustain the effect for several hours. MP has been getting capsules with breakfast and dinner, and oils during the day as needed, along with a few drops before bedtime.

If I were in CA, I'd love to try the VET CBD that's made with MJ instead of hemp!!!! They won't sell out of state because it's pot, but hemp CBD can be bought/shipped anywhere. There's probably a Colorado based one similar to VET CBD, but that one is kind of a well-known one. I seriously thought about driving out there to get it, or have a visitor bring her some. (MN has medical MJ so it's fine to have it here.)

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”