Seizure or...?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Seizure or...?

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:25 am

I'm not even truly sure it was a seizure but I don't know. Tonight we were watching tv and Max was being pesty as usual but seemingly agitated. He was up and down on the couch, wouldn't settle, killed a random toy he found, etc. He's weaning off a short course of pred so he's antsy and I chalked it up to that.
At any rate, he was standing in front of S and all of the sudden he went rigid, left eye fully dilated with the 3rd eyelid all the way out, neck/head cocked to the left and right front paw drawn up like he was pointing or had a bicep cramp. We grabbed him and put him on his left side on the couch until he regained some semblance of awareness. I massaged his right bicep until it uncurled then his left clenched up so I massaged it. He was tucking his toes under after it was over. At some point he got off the couch, went to his bed and promptly passed out hard. He got up to go out, emptied a fairly full bladder and went back to bed about 1½ hours after the episode.

This is new, we've never seen it before so I'm not sure it is a seizure or really what to do about it. He was in the vet last week for a cough and had a low resting heart rate of 70 bpm. He also recently developed a cataract in his right eye but no signs of diabetes. Do I just watch and wait? What do I do when it happens? Does it even sound like seizure behavior? Gah! I'm not going to do lots of extraordinary measures (pacemakers and lasik were thrown around by vets this month) for extra, yet shitty, time but I will do reasonable things for good quality of life. Max is 11 with chronic health issues (likely stemming from the shitty pet store breeding he has). I want as good of a life as he has left.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Re: Seizure or...?

Postby Amanda » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:02 am

Certainly possible that was a seizure. They can present in many ways. A dog I know has confirmed seizures that look like she is watching dust particles float in the air. Anyone who doesn't know her doesn't know anything is amiss, but the neurologist said they are seizures. The exhaustion you describe after the fact lines up. Freddy's seizures were everything from small head wobbles, to head/wall pressing, to repetitive paw movements, to full blown grand mal seizures. Some he could snap out of easily. Others he was gone for the duration of the seizure. That's what made his hard to pinpoint at first. I would watch Max closely. If it happens again, take him in. Or perhaps call the vet to describe the event and see if watch and wait is sufficient for now. They will want to rule out thyroid and hypoglycemia. Sounds like that was established in previous bloodwork though.

If it happens again, keep him safe from hurting himself during the seizure. Usually they need sugar after. A lot of people recommended vanilla ice cream for Freddy. And then let him rest. These things take a lot out of them. I'm sorry he is struggling. :(

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:44 pm

I would call the vet and describe what happened because Max has a lot going on, and it never hurts to call in. He might need a vet's attention, or at least it will keep his doctor up to speed with what's going on if he does need to be seen quickly. It does sound like it could be seizure, but make sure that it isn't some sort of weird symptoms related to the prednisone withdrawal and the possibility of his body not adjusting quickly enough to the scale down.

I'd rather have the vets think I'm a pest by giving them too much information and let them rule it out rather than for me make a novice decision that something is unimportant that truly might be useful.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:03 pm

So, after writing this, I had a "duh" moment and emailed the vet most of what I wrote here, minus the previous history stuff. She said she made file notes and if it happened again to let her know and we'd go from there. I also realize I sounded like I wasn't going to do anything to help him anymore. I'm more in the "management of diseases" state than "find all the cures now" state of mind. That's the tactic were taking unless something is relatively routine and easier to treat.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Glad to hear you made contact. I didn't take your position as choosing not to help him, but rather one of managing his conditions as best that will give quality of life, not subject him to extensive procedures that may be of detriment to him in other ways, and also that are affordable.

I would say though that if a cough is caused by fluid from heart-related issues, if he needs a diuretic to relieve that, lasix in his dosage should be readily available at all pharmacies, and that gives you the ability to price shop that, and isn't expensive to start with. Some other cardiac meds can be pricey, but if the lasix will relieve the cough, it might be worth considering that.

My girls all started with kidney values that showed some dysfunction and dilute urine before heart issues were present, and even with their kidneys in decline and starting them on lasix at ages years older than Max, Dixie and Cinnabon both handled the lasix for about a year and a half before any troubling and significant change in kidney function took its toll. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”